RACERGIRL!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shireen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
goodmorning :) i just read that you have been accepted to the U of Mn - twin cities...that is great. i am at the U right now, but for undergrad. i am praying that i can stay here for med school. could you please share your scores, gpa's, extracurricular's, etc. with me? i know every candidate get's accepted for different reasons, but i just want to get an idea of the profile's of those who got accepted for next fall.
do you think you will go to the U of MN or the other school that you were accepted to (can't remember which one)?

shireen

Members don't see this ad.

Good evening!

-Like you said, everyone's different, but here goes:
-left college (U of MN) without degree, GPA 2.8
-went racing (bicycles), stayed away 5 years
-Came back to college (U of MN again), changed magor to bio.
-3.96 GPA in the three years since I came back, but overall GPA only 3.06 (sci GPA 3.57)
-ER volunteer 1.5 years (yawn--isn't everyone?); volunteer tutor for kids 1 year, plus some other artsy-fartsy stuff I do, etc
-TA'd Ochem lab 3 semesters, won some teaching awards
-MCAT 13-15V 11P 13B

I don't know how much this will help. The only thing I can say is that when the adcom at the U of MN says they look at the whole package, they must be telling the truth, or I wouldn't be in the accept pile! I think I WILL end up going to U of MN, but Iowa's still in the running, and I've decided to keep my NW interview. I'm withdrawing from the other schools I've applied to and haven't heard from yet.

Good Luck!

well in my opinion, with your scores and accomplishments, it's a no-brainer that you were accepted. i am a bio major with a far from stellar gpa. i'll be taking my mcats in april (i haven't even had an ochem class yet :eek: ). instead of going to a regular highschool, i was in a magnet school that specialized in medicine. the first three years were spent studying procedures and anatomy and then the fourth year was spent doing rotations in various hospital departments...radiology and physical therapy were so so but what really got my attention was the emergency department. very hands on to say the least. i loved it. since i moved up to minnesota 2 years ago, it seems like none of the hospitals let their volunteers get that close to the action. the er volunteers at fairview university med center alert the triage nurses that patients are incoming and bring coffee to families in the waiting room - not my idea of excitement. next month i am supposed to start volunteering at the childrens mental health unit.
are you still at the U? i am here every day...usually studying in the bio-med library (my home away from home :) ). i really love it here and it would be my dream come true to stay here for med school.