Racial Attrition in Medical Schools, Food for thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndSong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While 50% of African Americans are getting in, and ~50% of Asians and Whites are getting in, and while ~50% of Latino applicants are getting in:

http://www.aamc.org/data/aib/aibissues/aibvol7_no2.pdf

However, 3.4% of Latinos do not obtain their medical degrees and 6.7% of African Americans do not get the MD either (in 1995). This is contrasted with a .7 and .9 % attrition rate for Whites and Asians respectively.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you attempting to make a point?

The point is fairly obvious: Asians are more stupider than whites because they have a higher attrition rate.:hello:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you attempting to make a point?

that the proportion of african american medical students who drop out of school due to the success of their multi-platinum rap album is much higher than that of asian students :confused:

Exactly, there are far too few Asian rap artists. This limits the chances of many Asians to be seen as visible, rich, sex figures in the entertainment industry. This causes lots of racial discrimination as we are not viewed as masculine or desireable. I demand a boycott of all rap and R&B products until talented Asian artists are signed and promoted.

Exactly, there are far too few Asian rap artists. This limits the chances of many Asians to be seen as visible, rich, sex figures in the entertainment industry. This causes lots of racial discrimination as we are not viewed as masculine or desireable. I demand a boycott of all rap and R&B products until talented Asian artists are signed and promoted.

but you see, the problem would be that they wouldn't "keep it real" at as high a rate as african american rap artists. They would "sell out" at roughly twice the rate, and we'd have to hear about it over and over and over again at StudentRapArtistNetwork

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well, all we (from the subcontinent) got goin for us Kal Penn.

While 50% of African Americans are getting in, and ~50% of Asians and Whites are getting in, and while ~50% of Latino applicants are getting in:

However, 3.4% of Latinos do not obtain their medical degrees and 6.7% of African Americans do not get the MD either (in 1995). This is contrasted with a .7 and .9 % attrition rate for Whites and Asians respectively.

How does 1995 relate to 2007? Why did they drop out? You are idle enough to search for random data on the internet, but not smart enough to ask pertinent questions?

apparently it was published this month. The top says april 2007

How come you and the rest of your family blame your Bad luck on URMs?... just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, I'm going to stop short of calling you a racist. But...I'm not really seeing the point of your post?:thumbdown:

There is a fundamental flaw with this logic in the assumption that talented Asian rappers exist.

The only one I can think of is Jay Chou, and no one ever understands what he's saying because he slurs like he was binge drinking for weeks.

i see what you did there

You accept some URMs with inferior stats and there will be an increase in dropout for those accepted (even though dropout is still minimal). I am not racist, just statistics. *puts one foot in flame suit* William Hung has broken down the barrier for asian artists :laugh:

Hey Pal what do you mean inferior stats why do you make that assumption that would be great do more research about 32K apply and about 16K get in that is 1/2 isn't it? For everyone. There are also probably 10 white applicant to one black or more like 100 to 5 by individual schools that is a stat to post. Ahh im going to the library.:thumbup:

This thread has raised a very interesting question: why don't we have any asian rappers today?

This thread has raised a very interesting question: why don't we have any asian rappers today?

the hell are you talking about, jap rap is the coolest
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQij-5onHw[/youtube]

Hey Pal what do you mean inferior stats why do you make that assumption that would be great do more research about 32K apply and about 16K get in that is 1/2 isn't it? For everyone. There are also probably 10 white applicant to one black or more like 100 to 5 by individual schools that is a stat to post. Ahh im going to the library.:thumbup:

Whatever happened to punctuation? :)

we don't need no stinkin commas

we don't need no stinkin commas

Hey apnea, then would you mind translating what Kashala said in the bolded portion of the post above?

:eek:

i dont know whats goin on in this thread all i know IS IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR ONE DAY :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

Hey apnea, then would you mind translating what Kashala said in the bolded portion of the post above?

the fragment "For everyone." is really what makes it comedy gold. :laugh:

the fragment "For everyone." is really what makes it comedy gold. :laugh:

hey penny, at first I thought it was me perhaps reading too fast, then I read it several more times and I still couldn't make sense of it. Glad it's not just me who feels this way!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kashala is definitely speaking some ebonics and you might want to get yourself ebotionary.:laugh::smuggrin::idea:

Ok, I'm going to stop short of calling you a racist. But...I'm not really seeing the point of your post?:thumbdown:

First of all, you absolutely see the point of the OP's post, otherwise you wouldn't have made the comment about racisim.

Second, although I absolutely disagree with the conclusions that the OP undoubtedly reaches from these stats, it is grossly inappropriate for you to attach the "racist" label. You can support affirmative action and still acknowledge racial differences in educational performance. You don't have to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality. Tossing around the racist label is the last bastion of the ignorant. Stop it.

Dang...why do asians have such a high attrition rate, I demand something be done about this!

First of all, you absolutely see the point of the OP's post, otherwise you wouldn't have made the comment about racisim.

Second, although I absolutely disagree with the conclusions that the OP undoubtedly reaches from these stats, it is grossly inappropriate for you to attach the "racist" label. You can support affirmative action and still acknowledge racial differences in educational performance. You don't have to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality. Tossing around the racist label is the last bastion of the ignorant. Stop it.

This has been discussed over and over in these forums. Sample size has a large component here.

How is sample size a large component here? I believe all sample sizes are sufficiently large to avoid accidental skewing through it being a case study. The N values applied to students across the country. It's one thing to say that there are 2 black students in a class and 1 leaves, so that school has a 50% drop out rate. It's quite another to say that there are 1,000 black students in the country and 70 of them drop out. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

Just raised the point for add to the discussion. I wanted to see what conclusions people would draw from them, well other than the fact that I may be a racist. Not sure how stating a study makes me a racist, but okay. I'm surprised that no one has yet argued the counterpoint that this could be skewed because Howard and Meharry are not as strong schools, or the medical schools do not provide sufficient resources to minority students who are still influenced by the lack of proper resources early in life.

Mr OP, if there are 5 black students in a class(which is not uncommon in some medschools) and one drops out, that will be 20% attrition. Good luck drawing any conclusions from that.

Mr OP, if there are 5 black students in a class(which is not uncommon in some medschools) and one drops out, that will be 20% attrition. Good luck drawing any conclusions from that.

That may be true but the linked study actually shows the sample sizes, and it's more like 66/916, 66/1059, and 83/1231 for 1987, 1992, and 1995 (African-Americans who left medical school for academic reasons). That's large enough of a sample to be plenty statistically significant (and if you've taken stats, you'd also know that you can have statistically significant results with fairly small samples, and these samples are more than enough-in fact, in 1995 the total number of African-Americans leaving outnumbered Whites leaving 83 to 70).

Just because someone takes this data seriously doesn't mean they're racist or are using skewed sample sizes.

...no... :scared:

lol I don't think commas could rescue that sentence...

That may be true but the linked study actually shows the sample sizes, and it's more like 66/916, 66/1059, and 83/1231 for 1987, 1992, and 1995 (African-Americans who left medical school for academic reasons). That's large enough of a sample to be plenty statistically significant (and if you've taken stats, you'd also know that you can have statistically significant results with fairly small samples, and these samples are more than enough-in fact, in 1995 the total number of African-Americans leaving outnumbered Whites leaving 83 to 70).

Just because someone takes this data seriously doesn't mean they're racist or are using skewed sample sizes.

Where in my post did I imply racism? What is up with all the defense on the thread? FYI, sample size is the biggest source of flawed conclusions in stats. Like someone else pointed out, does this also mean whites are better suited for medschool than asians?

:beat:
Putting the smilies to good use.

Hey Pal!! what, do you? mean inferior stats. why, do you? make that assumption. that would be great! do more research. about 32K apply and about 16K get in. that is 1/2, isn't it? For everyone. There are also probably 10 white applicant to one black or more like 100 to 5 by individual schools that is a stat to post. Ahh im going to the library.:thumbup:

I'll help you all out using my mixed bag of commas, periods and exclamation marks.

b/c asian parents will kill their kids if they decide to become an asian rapper.

I don't think the data should surprise anyone. I'm willing to bet that whites/asians accepted to med school with similar GPAs/MCAT scores as URMs probably have similar attrition rates as well.

Win American Idol?

I think there is a paucity of asian rap because rapping is not a respected as doctoring in the asian community. Not saying that's right or wrong, because that would be passing judgement and I'm just too dang PC. However, please take into account that rappers make a lot more money than doctors, and they also help people. Heck, I know Tupac helped me get through some tough years out on the streets of Flushing Queens.:lol:

Let's start a support group, and gather statistics, and do surveys. Who wants to write up the abstract for Sociology Today?

He even brought "She Bangs" back into our lives. What can't that guy do?!