racial tissue for international dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamteeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some guys told me that when international dentists practice in US, most patients are from the same countries where they come from. the white never believe in an Asian dentist. Is that true? It makes me think that international dental clinic is just like a barber shop in China town or Korean town. Kinda miserable.
How do you think about it? Welcome to take part in discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

iamteeth said:
Some guys told me that when international dentists practice in US, most patients are from the same countries where they come from. the white never believe in an Asian dentist. Is that true? It makes me think that international dental clinic is just like a barber shop in China town or Korean town. Kinda miserable.
Well you will encounter racism where ever you go and whatever you do.With that said-I think it could be because of cultural competency issues-you know it takes a chinese guy to understand another chinese guy,as it is for korean,hispanic or indian in terms of culture and language and values.
Before I moved to the US,I thought that everybody spoke english,but now I know different..there are LOTS of people residing in the US,wo dont speak the language and are comfortable with someone who speaks their language.
If it makes you feel better, my work place has no 'white' people but the patients are of all color and language persuation.It really depends on you-do your best and people will come to you in hoards :D

I think it depends on the doctor and how versatile he/she is. If you are able to adapt yourself according to the style and needs of the patient then that works. Also, the more professional you exhibit yourself to be [in the manner of your appearance and conversation] then every patient will be ready to put their trust in you.

But if a patient of a different race does not want to be treated by you, inspite of you having all those qualities... then he's just simply screwed in his head. Not your fault, plainly. :D
Don't worry, just be the best in whatever you do honestly and you'll have people bowing down to you :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally agree with queen naush and dental, it is how you present yourself that makes a lot of difference in life, if you accquire the american accent, are flexible and pleasant and have a good hand in dentistry, then most patients woudnt care,and for those who care they should be most welcome to go elsewhere.some indian patients on the other hand prefer to go to indian doctors, coz of the language, accent and same country docs sometimes being more personable.dunt worry abt it.

I think the accent makes a lot of difference.......the sooner we pick up the american accent the better.....patients feel comfortable when the doctor speaks like them......this was told to me from many indian doctors practicing here.....and of course ur hand skills, approach everything matters......but some people may not be ready visit a foreign doctor, no matter what!!!!!!that's their problem!!!!!not ours....

shlo said:
I think the accent makes a lot of difference.......the sooner we pick up the american accent the better.....patients feel comfortable when the doctor speaks like them......this was told to me from many indian doctors practicing here.....and of course ur hand skills, approach everything matters......but some people may not be ready visit a foreign doctor, no matter what!!!!!!that's their problem!!!!!not ours....

I am a red-blooded American white boy. In fact, my black friends tell me that I am about as "white" as anybody could ever hope to be. Whatever that means. :laugh: :D

But I will offer my opinion. I think being of a different race or having a different accent is not really that big of a deal. The important thing is that your patient be able to identify with you. That doesn't mean having the perfect Midwestern accent so everybody thinks you were born in Ohio, but it does mean speaking English very comfortably so people don't have to make a special effort to understand you.

For your patients to identify with you, you must also become American. This is harder to explain. It does NOT mean giving up all traces of your religious and cultural heritage; you just need to make an effort to assimilate.

I don't know how to explain this well at all. I have a good friend who has possibly the worst Vietnamese accent I have ever heard, but he is so American that I have a difficult time imagining him living anywhere else but in the good ole USA. He doesn't make other people try to pronounce his Vietnamese name, but goes by a close sounding American equivalent.

I have met other Vietnamese friends of his that speak much better English than he does, but they always seem out of place and a little awkward in American society. I like these people, but would not feel comfortable with these people as my doctor. There is something too foreign there that I just don't understand. Maybe somebody else can explain this one better.

I hope I don't come across sounding racist; just trying to offer an open and honest opinion.

CorneliusFudge said:
I am a red-blooded American white boy. In fact, my black friends tell me that I am about as "white" as anybody could ever hope to be. Whatever that means. :laugh: :D

But I will offer my opinion. I think being of a different race or having a different accent is not really that big of a deal. The important thing is that your patient be able to identify with you. That doesn't mean having the perfect Midwestern accent so everybody thinks you were born in Ohio, but it does mean speaking English very comfortably so people don't have to make a special effort to understand you.

For your patients to identify with you, you must also become American. This is harder to explain. It does NOT mean giving up all traces of your religious and cultural heritage; you just need to make an effort to assimilate.

I don't know how to explain this well at all. I have a good friend who has possibly the worst Vietnamese accent I have ever heard, but he is so American that I have a difficult time imagining him living anywhere else but in the good ole USA. He doesn't make other people try to pronounce his Vietnamese name, but goes by a close sounding American equivalent.

I have met other Vietnamese friends of his that speak much better English than he does, but they always seem out of place and a little awkward in American society. I like these people, but would not feel comfortable with these people as my doctor. There is something too foreign there that I just don't understand. Maybe somebody else can explain this one better.

I hope I don't come across sounding racist; just trying to offer an open and honest opinion.
Mr.Minister of Magic-you dont sound racist at all :D
Harry Potter fan huh? Why Cornelius Fudge? :D

Hi all,
This is a very interesting thread,the topic I've been thinkin of.As cornelius fudge said,I too think these foreigners[including me] should try to be a little bit of where they are,ie,try to involve in everything of that country where they r living[not only usa,wherever u r]-like food,music,habits etc.Try to absorb that country's culture to an extent, while keeping ur own cultural values.
I know a few Indian dentists & doctors who r well known and the "real"l american people who go to these doctors just b'coz they r good in their work.I worked with an Indian dentist who had abt 85% of his pts pure americans[He had a "pakka Indian accent"] .Its all the trust in the doctor.You got to develop that.
Then as others mentioned,no matter how smart u r ,there r people who do care for the "skin color" and other things,who prefer a doctor of their own country or race or whatever.Anyway I think its all in u or us,each has to developthat trust which takes some time!
Good luck to all! :thumbup:

Like you guys been talkin bout accents, how about english accents being more desirable by few.. wyl hated by others.. although they arent american.. LOL
does it show.. the european roots of early white immigrants.. LOL again..
kdin

Basically patients look for comfort in the chair and that can be attained by dentists behavior and accent is also a part of it...

like.. a southern guy visiting a dentist from new england or a NY patient with a texan dentist...

So.. go figure.. :laugh:

muscleman7911 said:
like.. a southern guy visiting a dentist from new england or a NY patient with a texan dentist...

Can I say lol again at that??
:laugh:
Good one Muscleman!

iamteeth said:

Im my opinion, race wont matter much. Quality, price, service, office comfort, AND speaking english with no accent.

Having an accent portrays someone who was educated outside the US. Which puts out a stereotype of inferior education.

Even if you speak spanish, make sure you speak english without an accent.
This kind of stuff is key.

For all those immigrant families out there, you can agree that service at chinese, indian, other mom and pop restuarants and other immigrant places are sub-par.

I am asian.