Rad (and Cancer) Bio/Physics 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the latest issue of The Beam by Paul Wallner and Brian Davis:

Perhaps the most significant issue raised by discussions with stakeholder organizations has been the relative emphasis currently placed on the three elements of IC, especially the weighting of the basic sciences. Current exam structure includes one exam in physics comprising approximately 100 items, and a second biology exam of similar length. These exams are administered on the same day and residents are eligible to sit for the exams after 32 months of residency training. The clinical exam, which comprises approximately 200 items, is administered on a second day, and residents must have completed their entire 48-month training period before being eligible to sit for this exam. The relevance and weighting of the physics and biology exams has been raised as a concern, especially by younger physicians within the discipline. Consistent with input from stakeholder organizations, the ABR trustees believe that any de-emphasis of science within the RO curriculum, training programs, and assessment instruments would have potentially significant impact on the current and future science and practice of radiation oncology. They are encouraging initiation of a broad stakeholder dialogue to explore the impact of these issues and to make recommendations for the path forward.​
(Emphasis mine)

Obligatory 'OK boomer.'

why does PW’s opinion continue to have so much weight in our field? This is crazy

Members don't see this ad.

So I guess Mayo Jax has the idea that programs can still be picky about USMLE scores because somehow this will translate to better ABR pass rates.

#delusional

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Mayo Jax doesn’t understand its their charge to adequately educate residents to pass the boards? Rather they’d take good test takers so they can focus on space suits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Jax doesn’t understand its their charge to adequately educate residents to pass the boards? Rather they’d take good test takers so they can focus on space suits.

Agree. To be fair they could have sent this before the current batch of applicants.

ive seen the candidates for this year and wowzaa talk about dragging the scores down...literally all you need is a pulse this year

Agree. To be fair they could have sent this before the current batch of applicants.

ive seen the candidates for this year and wowzaa talk about dragging the scores down...literally all you need is a pulse this year

This is not accurate

Depends on where you are working. I've heard this to be the case at mid to low tier programs

fair. maybe low tier programs who are going to set out to fill their match by hook or crook are interviewing literally anyone.

I can confirm a few things as someone involved in the application review. There are still some very impressive applicants, probably a relatively stable amount. Less great applicants as in past, and significantly way less competitive applicants compared to previous years. The specialty will have a new talent draught eventually as these subpar rad oncs graduate. People with low step scores and bad grades will match this year, somewhere.

People in hiring positions should hire within next few years before pool of applicants on average are significantly below average. I’d say probably the next 2-3 classes are the last classes from the golden age, where we Attracted the very top students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
you’re getting close to doxxing yourself

poor sap is at a low low low bar place.

hard to say he's doxing himself because there are unfortunately about 20-20 ****ty residency programs