Rad Onc for IMG - Next to Impossible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Rad Onc for an IMG nearly impossible? Know of any programs that have accepted IMGs? Thanks for all your help...

Members don't see this ad.

Each year of the ~ 120-140 spots for RadOnc about 1-3 go to IMGs. I think we can agree that IMGs who get spots in this environment share similar qualities:

1. Ridiculously qualified (e.g. PhD or equivalent, attending in home country, multiple research publications)
2. Very strong relationship with Department and/or Chair (e.g. worked in Chair's lab as fellow for a few years)
3. Lucky

I believe one of the moderators on this board was an IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is nearly impossible for img's to match,r eally b/c there are more than qualified US graduates. yes, steph was an img who matched...but that was in an era when the field was wide open (no offense, steph). other DO's or IMG's have matched the past few years, but i am not privy to their situation (if they did aways, scores, research, etc).

if you are an img who is interested in radiation oncology, apply far and wide and good luck!