Program-Specific Info / Q's Radford University Occupational Therapy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringOT'17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to start a new thread for Radford University's OT program and see if anyone else has applied? I know the deadline isn't until May 15th, but I figured we could all talk about how anxious we are together and share stats/feedback we have heard about the program :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I just wanted to start a new thread for Radford University's OT program and see if anyone else has applied? I know the deadline isn't until May 15th, but I figured we could all talk about how anxious we are together and share stats/feedback we have heard about the program :)

I applied to Radford's program!!

Reactions: 1 user

I'm super nervous..if you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm probably going to start on my application soon! I don't know too much about the program, they don't have too much listed on their website. Have you found that it is difficult to get ahold of them?

Yes it is sort of difficult to get ahold of them! I went to an information session today and it was very inciteful! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I wish they would let us know sooner :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Overall GPA: 3.51
Last 60 cred: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.5
GRE: 3.5 writing, 145 verbal, 142 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience: [/B]50.5 hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic, 30.5 hours at an adult/children outpatient clinic, 30 hours at a skilled nursing facility, 80 hours as a CNA, 1000+ hours at a summer camp for children (over 3 years), 120 hours as an intern at a disability resource office, specifically with the deaf population, as well as people with special needs, 50 hours at a homeless shelter, currently: assistant teacher at an early learning center with children 6 weeks to 5 years old, interning at a skilled nursing facility (400 hours when completed)

Certifications: CPR/First Aid, Psi Chi honors society, BSW Admissions, Deans list

What about you?! I'm so nervous as well! The anticipation is killing me!

Overall GPA: 3.51
Last 60 cred: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.5
GRE: 3.5 writing, 145 verbal, 142 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience: [/B]50.5 hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic, 30.5 hours at an adult/children outpatient clinic, 30 hours at a skilled nursing facility, 80 hours as a CNA, 1000+ hours at a summer camp for children (over 3 years), 120 hours as an intern at a disability resource office, specifically with the deaf population, as well as people with special needs, 50 hours at a homeless shelter, currently: assistant teacher at an early learning center with children 6 weeks to 5 years old, interning at a skilled nursing facility (400 hours when completed)

Certifications: CPR/First Aid, Psi Chi honors society, BSW Admissions, Deans list

What about you?! I'm so nervous as well! The anticipation is killing me!

Overall GPA: 3.36
GRE: 146 verbal, 142 quantitative, 3.5 writing

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
560 hour internship at behavioral health center for youth, teacher assistant for AU (autism) 1 classroom (420 hours), one on one for child with cerebral palsy (350 hours), 75 hours longterm/skilled nursing facility, 15 hours psychiatric hospital: adolescent and adult mental health, 15 hours Adapted P.E. at elementary school, 41 hours pediatric outpatient occupational therapy facility (2 different places), 4 hours observing occupational therapist at an elementary school, special Olympics volunteer, currently: child care coordinator at child care center (18 months to 12 years old)

Certifications:
Licensed Recreational Therapist
Certified Therapeutic Recreational Therapist
CPR/First Aid

I'm just hoping my stats are good enough. It's kind of discouraging seeing other peoples stats on here...

Overall GPA: 3.36
GRE: 146 verbal, 142 quantitative, 3.5 writing

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
560 hour internship at behavioral health center for youth, teacher assistant for AU (autism) 1 classroom (420 hours), one on one for child with cerebral palsy (350 hours), 75 hours longterm/skilled nursing facility, 15 hours psychiatric hospital: adolescent and adult mental health, 15 hours Adapted P.E. at elementary school, 41 hours pediatric outpatient occupational therapy facility (2 different places), 4 hours observing occupational therapist at an elementary school, special Olympics volunteer, currently: child care coordinator at child care center (18 months to 12 years old)

Certifications:
Licensed Recreational Therapist
Certified Therapeutic Recreational Therapist
CPR/First Aid

I'm just hoping my stats are good enough. It's kind of discouraging seeing other peoples stats on here...
I definitely agree with you! It sounds like our stats are kind of similar, have you been to any information sessions for Radford's program? I attended a session yesterday and it was very helpful!

I definitely agree with you! It sounds like our stats are kind of similar, have you been to any information sessions for Radford's program? I attended a session yesterday and it was very helpful!

I haven't! What types of things do they discuss?

I haven't! What types of things do they discuss?
They just talk about occupational therapy as a whole and what it is, what to expect in RU's program, prereqs and admissions requirements, tuition, and they give you a tour! I'm an undergraduate at RU so I have been to a few, but i'd definitely recommend going to one! What school do you go to?

They just talk about occupational therapy as a whole and what it is, what to expect in RU's program, prereqs and admissions requirements, tuition, and they give you a tour! I'm an undergraduate at RU so I have been to a few, but i'd definitely recommend going to one! What school do you go to?

Oh okay! I graduated from East Carolina Univeristy. Did they say anything about when they were sending out acceptances? I'm assuming it would be in may after the deadline?

yes they basically said that we could hear up until the end of June :( so that sort of sucks, hopefully it will be sooner than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that is such a long wait! Ugh

I will also be applying some time soon to Radford! Here's my stats!
Overall GPA: 3.75
PreReq GPA: 3.9
GRE: Q:140 V:145 W:4 (I know, not the best)

Double Major- with Honors (working on my own undergrad research thesis on older adults with physical disabilities)
Volunteer Hours: 50 hours (outpatient clinic/hospital)
Work: Support Staff for Students with Disabilities/experience working with Special needs (2 years, 25 hours each week)

I have tried contacting the program via email and phone and haven't had much success. :( I have only applied to one other school (VCU) so I'm hoping that I'll have luck with either one of them! Wish everyone the best of luck !!!
Your stats are amazing! I definitely think you will get in :) Where did you do undergrad? They are not the best about email or phone unfortunately! If you have any questions, I can try to help you! I'm an undergraduate at RU and I have been to 4 information sessions!

Your stats are amazing! I definitely think you will get in :) Where did you do undergrad? They are not the best about email or phone unfortunately! If you have any questions, I can try to help you! I'm an undergraduate at RU and I have been to 4 information sessions!

Thanks, I'm really hoping I do and hopefully you all do as well!! That's cool that you go there already, I'm sure they take that into consideration when choosing who gets in! How do you like the area? Also, does anyone know how many spots RU usually has for the program?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm really hoping I do and hopefully you all do as well!! I am at GMU right now. That's cool that you go there already, I'm sure they take that into consideration when choosing who gets in! How do you like the area? Also, does anyone know how many spots RU usually has for the program?

I love love love Radford! It's definitely a homie area! It's not the city, but there is plenty to do in the area in your free time! RU accepts 20-23 people & usually has about 70-80 applications! I just found that out this past weekend at the information session I went to!

Does anyone know where I can find the observation verification form? I've looked on the website but can't find it.

You can just make your own! As long as there is some sort of evidence, you'll be fine :)

I love love love Radford! It's definitely a homie area! It's not the city, but there is plenty to do in the area in your free time! RU accepts 20-23 people & usually has about 70-80 applications! I just found that out this past weekend at the information session I went to!

Oh wow, thats a lot less than I was expecting :( do you guys think it matters on when we submit the application, like the earlier the better? Also, I know we need the observation form but where are we suppose to submit it? I didn't see a section for on the application!?

Oh wow, thats a lot less than I was expecting :( do you guys think it matters on when we submit the application, like the earlier the better? Also, I know we need the observation form but where are we suppose to submit it? I didn't see a section for on the application!?
I submitted my application in January, but they basically said that they are not thoroughly looking at applications until April, so I feel like as long as it's before May 15th, it's fine! Also, I just submitted all of my extra info, including observation forms under the additional information portion of the application. I think it was under where we put our personal statement, and resume! I think I just put it all on that page :)

Under the application materials where it says evidence that you have completed a college or community class to learn a new activity or occupation. The activity should require physical skills as well as cognitive processing...what type of document did you submit. I feel like transcripts are evidence?...

Under the application materials where it says evidence that you have completed a college or community class to learn a new activity or occupation. The activity should require physical skills as well as cognitive processing...what type of document did you submit. I feel like transcripts are evidence?...
I feel like transcripts could be evidence too, but I did something that was not through the school, so I just got the instructor to sign off on it each time I went!

Do either of you know if its okay that I summit my application before my references? Or should I wait until they have submitted my online references?

Do either of you know if its okay that I summit my application before my references? Or should I wait until they have submitted my online references?

I'm not 100% sure, but I submitted my application in January and just recently had to add a few documents to it. I emailed graduate admissions and they said if I emailed them the documents they could add them to my application no problem. I would probably email them just to be completely sure though.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone else gotten into another school? is Radford your deciding factor if so? I'm trying to figure out if i'm going to accept a school's offer or wait to find out for Radford! It's so far away :( lol

has anyone else gotten into another school? is Radford your deciding factor if so? I'm trying to figure out if i'm going to accept a school's offer or wait to find out for Radford! It's so far away :( lol
What other school do you have an offer at? I would probably take the offer you have instead of potentially getting in a Radford.

I got accepted to Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and I am going to put down the deposit to save my seat! I just have not decided if I will be attending for sure yet because I am still waiting on Radford! Although, I do love both schools a lot so JCHS is definitely a contender!! I also love downtown Roanoke! I just don't want to decide so quickly with the first thing, ya know?

I got accepted to Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and I am going to put down the deposit to save my seat! I just have not decided if I will be attending for sure yet because I am still waiting on Radford! Although, I do love both schools a lot so JCHS is definitely a contender!! I also love downtown Roanoke! I just don't want to decide so quickly with the first thing, ya know?
Yay Congrats!

Thank you so much!! Are any of you guys waiting on other schools as well?

I'm currently waitlisted at Carroll Univerisity, St. Scholastica, Indiana State, MGH Institute, Kettering College, Mary Baldwin, and St. Ambrose. So I'm really hoping I end up getting in somewhere! Still waiting to hear back from VCU though. The waiting game is so frustrating haha

I'm currently waitlisted at Carroll Univerisity, St. Scholastica, Indiana State, MGH Institute, Kettering College, Mary Baldwin, and St. Ambrose. So I'm really hoping I end up getting in somewhere! Still waiting to hear back from VCU though. The waiting game is so frustrating haha

It's very frustrating!! I honestly wasn't expecting to get off of a waitlist anywhere so hopefully you do too! The chances are good, keep hope alive :)

I got waitlisted at lenoir rhyne..still waiting to hear!

Hey guys! Have you all made decisions on where you're going yet or is Radford still a contender?

I ended up getting off the waitlist at Mary Baldwin, so I'll be going there!

Aw congrats! That's very exciting! You start really soon right? I accepted at Jefferson, but i'm still waiting on Radford before making a final decision!

I only applied to VCU and Radford and haven't heard from VCU (which I am assuming at this point means I did not get in) so I am really hoping for Radford!

I only applied to VCU and Radford and haven't heard from VCU (which I am assuming at this point means I did not get in) so I am really hoping for Radford!
Yay!! Goodluck! It's not long before we should hear now since Monday is the first day of May!! I'm so anxious!

What class did y'all take that matches up with the analytical thinking prerequisite

I go to Radford now for undergrad so I did the core 102! I think as long as you've done something with writing or ethics or logic, it should be okay? I'm not sure though! Maybe call the school!

Hello! I just received an acceptance to Radford's OT program today!! I hope that you all hear back soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Also what are your stats?

Overall GPA: 3.87
PreReq GPA: 3.93
GRE: Q:145 V:152 W:4

Exercise & Sports Science Major - with Honors
Volunteer: 200+ hours at Outpatient and Inpatient OT clinic in a hospital. 10 hours observation in athletic training room. 15 hours observation of elementary isolation classroom.

Overall GPA: 3.87
PreReq GPA: 3.93
GRE: Q:145 V:152 W:4

Exercise & Sports Science Major - with Honors
Volunteer: 200+ hours at Outpatient and Inpatient OT clinic in a hospital. 10 hours observation in athletic training room. 15 hours observation of elementary isolation classroom.

That's great girly! Have you heard of anyone else being accepted?! I'm getting really anxious! Your stats are great!