Radiation oncology-am I capable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of you rad onc residents out there:
While you were in med school considering/applying for rad onc, did you ever wonder if you'd be able to understand the material well enough in residency so you didn't have to go through your whole residency struggling? Is there a way before residency to have a good indicator as to whether or not you'd be struggling to grasp the material?
Of course it's hard, of course there will be times of struggle, but there is a difference between that and being constantly stressed out because you're struggling or falling behind. I assume the physics and math comes naturally to some and not as naturally to others. To those whom it may not have come naturally, what was your experience?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i've heard the board pass rates are tough for first time takers. I just want to make sure I'd make the cut. A lot of the folks I know who go into rad onc are quick learners and just seem to understand things. I'm more of a work my butt off type guy until I finally figure it out. Are there people like that in your programs? are they successful? or are they miserable because they are really really working their butt off trying to keep up.
I took all the engineering physics classes in undergrad and did fine, so hopefully I remember my basic high school math.

i guess i've heard the board pass rates are tough for first time takers. I just want to make sure I'd make the cut. A lot of the folks I know who go into rad onc are quick learners and just seem to understand things. I'm more of a work my butt off type guy until I finally figure it out. Are there people like that in your programs? are they successful? or are they miserable because they are really really working their butt off trying to keep up.
I took all the engineering physics classes in undergrad and did fine, so hopefully I remember my basic high school math.
The "rough"rates are seen the most in oral boards which are more clinical than anything else. I think the recent physics board pass rates have been 85-90%

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to make sure I'd make the cut.

you+can+do+it.jpg

Reactions: 3 users