Radiation Oncology chances for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sohebbasharat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So im a new member here on SDN. Im an IMG and have passed Step 1 with a score of 270. Now preparing for CK. Can anyone guide me as how to prepare myself for a Rad-Onc residency? I dont have any USCE. I would be arriving in US after giving CK.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Only 9 non-US senior applicants matched in radiation oncology last year, per the NRMP, and 3 of those had prior internships or residencies in the US. Of the remaining 6 independent applicants that matched a non-Physician(R) position, there is a very good chance that some were either prior US MD graduates, or extremely exceptional DO graduates (or DOs that had completed prior residencies).

What it boils down to is that your chances are extremely, extremely low. I'd really plan a backup route, because your numbers are excellent, but with no USCE and being an IMG, you're very unlikely to match rad onc, and every year you go out past graduation substantially hurts your competitiveness.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf

Last edited:
and 3 of those had prior internships or residencies in the US.
Thank you very much for your reply. So how would this have worked? Which prior internships or residencies can they be?
Of course i should plan a backup but what advice can you give for me to increase my chances in Rad-Onc, or should i just give up any hope altogether?
Also, would it help if i were to do some research/usce for a year and then apply for match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your reply. So how would this have worked? Which prior internships or residencies can they be?
Of course i should plan a backup but what advice can you give for me to increase my chances in Rad-Onc, or should i just give up any hope altogether?
Also, would it help if i were to do some research/usce for a year and then apply for match?
I'd wait for some of the rad onc people to chime in, they could give you a better idea than I could. I'm just letting you know that, statistically, your odds are incredibly unfavorable as an independent applicant, and you should therefore have a backup plan, such as going IM>Heme/Onc. I would honestly be surprised if more than two of the matches were actually IMGs and not US MDs that did research or prelim IM years. Unfortunately, the NRMP doesn't give us enough data to know for sure.

I'd wait for some of the rad onc people to chime in, they could give you a better idea than I could. I'm just letting you know that, statistically, your odds are incredibly unfavorable as an independent applicant, and you should therefore have a backup plan, such as going IM>Heme/Onc. I would honestly be surprised if more than two of the matches were actually IMGs and not US MDs that did research or prelim IM years. Unfortunately, the NRMP doesn't give us enough data to know for sure.
(sigh) its kind of depressing.. nevertheless thank you very much.

Also, if i may ask; in the NRMP 2014 data it says in Radiation Oncology PGY1 positions offered are 18 but in RadOnc PGY 2 positions offered are 161. How does this work? I dont really know it. Do people actually apply in PGY2? What do they do in PGY1?

Also, if i may ask; in the NRMP 2014 data it says in Radiation Oncology PGY1 positions offered are 18 but in RadOnc PGY 2 positions offered are 161. How does this work? I dont really know it. Do people actually apply in PGY2? What do they do in PGY1?
You apply for a preliminary position in conjunction with your PGY-2 position. The PGY-2 begins after your prelim is over, and you match them both at the same time. Basically, if you were to match next year, you'd be matching for 2016 prelim+2017 radonc at the same time. You have to match both to get a position, which is another reason IMGs have a rough time matching radonc- you have to match both a prelim and a radonc position at the same time.

There are 1 or 2 Caribbean grads that get in every year (so <1% of matched). With a 270 step 1, I think it's do-able if you put together a good CV. A better plan would be try to transfer to a US MD school. One of my classmates at my med school did this (excelled at his carib school and got into a US MD school -- granted he had to start over at MS1, but this would increase your odds significantly).

There are 1 or 2 Caribbean grads that get in every year (so <1% of matched). With a 270 step 1, I think it's do-able if you put together a good CV. A better plan would be try to transfer to a US MD school. One of my classmates at my med school did this (excelled at his carib school and got into a US MD school -- granted he had to start over at MS1, but this would increase your odds significantly).
Thank u very much. I have graduated so i cannot really transfer :)

Hi! So im a new member here on SDN. Im an IMG and have passed Step 1 with a score of 270. Now preparing for CK. Can anyone guide me as how to prepare myself for a Rad-Onc residency? I dont have any USCE. I would be arriving in US after giving CK.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
I am an IMG, granted I am american and did all of my clinicals at ACGME accredited hospitals in the states.... I have a nice amount of rad onc interviews that I've gone to this season so far. However, given my citizenship and clinical experience, Im not sure if this reply is all that helpful, but.... if you want some CK advice still feel free to message me.

Thanx very much RectalProlapse. Ive sent you a message in conversation........

Ok, so I got a Rad Onc observership in Miami Miller for July. Will it be of much help in my application for Rad Onc? Any advise would be appreciated. Also, how can I (being an IMG) enter some Rad-Onc research? Thanx.

Ok, so I got a Rad Onc observership in Miami Miller for July. Will it be of much help in my application for Rad Onc? Any advise would be appreciated. Also, how can I (being an IMG) enter some Rad-Onc research? Thanx.

An observership will likely help, but doing a clinical rotation would be best. Focus on getting the best letters from the biggest names, and do more rotations at places that have residency programs.

In terms of research, inquire while you're on your observership and be willing to put in long hours.

Thank you evilbooyaa. Actually, being an IMG, its difficult to get much nowadays. Even observerships are hard to get by. Most of the places I contacted , say that they don't offer any such opportunities. So, I don't have many options. But you are right, I will try to get into research while I am on observership. Thanks