Radiation oncology interest (M1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year medical student a state medical school that doesn't have a radiation oncology residency/program. I am interested in pursuing radiation oncology as a specialty and had a few questions in regards to research within the field.

I recently met with the chair of the cancer center that's affiliated with our school (he's a radiation oncologist) to discuss research opportunities. He gave me a few options on what I should do and told me to set up another time to meet with him in the future. My question is, what type of research do students at my level usually conduct? I'm not sure what I can do given that I don't really know too much about the technicalities of the procedures within the field. Do students usually just conduct retrospective chart analysis? What are some other options for research if I'm looking to pursue this specialty and want to get a head start. I'm looking for things that will attest to the amount of work I am willing to put in (publications, poster presentations, etc.) so should I go ahead and start on a retrospective case analysis? It's not that all I want are publications, but I don't want to slave over this and then not be able to have an objectifiable record of the work.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year medical student a state medical school that doesn't have a radiation oncology residency/program. I am interested in pursuing radiation oncology as a specialty and had a few questions in regards to research within the field.

I recently met with the chair of the cancer center that's affiliated with our school (he's a radiation oncologist) to discuss research opportunities. He gave me a few options on what I should do and told me to set up another time to meet with him in the future. My question is, what type of research do students at my level usually conduct? I'm not sure what I can do given that I don't really know too much about the technicalities of the procedures within the field. Do students usually just conduct retrospective chart analysis? What are some other options for research if I'm looking to pursue this specialty and want to get a head start. I'm looking for things that will attest to the amount of work I am willing to put in (publications, poster presentations, etc.) so should I go ahead and start on a retrospective case analysis? It's not that all I want are publications, but I don't want to slave over this and then not be able to have an objectifiable record of the work.

Should seek sensei with proven track record, though nothing is guaranteed Daniel-san...First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine.