Radiation Oncology Job Market - ACR Webinar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
RADIATION ONCOLOGY JOB MARKET CONCERNS

Featuring an esteemed Radiation Oncology panel for a live Q&A Interview Q&A interview

Wed, Jun 3, 2020 5-6pm EST / 4-5pm CST / 2-3pm PST

Register:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ACR RO Webinar June 3 2020_job market Concerns[12248].pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 3 users
I’m sorry to be a negative Nancy but this webinar will go nowhere. There was a panel interview at last year’s ASTRO that basically just said they couldn’t do anything for fear of legal issues or didn’t think there was a problem. The ACR has literally no power over contracture of residency positions (and honestly isn’t that influential in the RO world). the ACGME committee who attempted to remedy the problem by increasing minimum requirements really only made it so that residents can be worked to the bone (raising the maximum from 250 to 350 case per year it I remember correctly).

It will take a revolution of sorts to correct this problem. If there is not, RO will essentially become like Pathology or Canadian ROs where even people graduating from top programs have to do a fellowship.

Here are my predictions from this webinar:

1. Network early to get into the region you want and use personal connections
2. Work hard in residency, publish and earn respect from your PD and Chairman who might go to bat for you
3. Your first job won’t be your last so you can eventually get into the location you want
4. Try to do locums at places that you want to work at
5. Use the ASTRO jobs board/GoogleJobs/PracticeLink
6. New jobs will spring up throughout the year
7. Fellowships might give you more opportunities

Sorry to rant but seeing these job market webinars just grinds my gears.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I’m sorry to be a negative Nancy but this webinar will go nowhere. There was a panel interview at last year’s ASTRO that basically just said they couldn’t do anything for fear of legal issues or didn’t think there was a problem. The ACR has literally no power over contracture of residency positions (and honestly isn’t that influential in the RO world). the ACGME committee who attempted to remedy the problem by increasing minimum requirements really only made it so that residents can be worked to the bone (raising the maximum from 250 to 350 case per year it I remember correctly).

It will take a revolution of sorts to correct this problem. If there is not, RO will essentially become like Pathology or Canadian ROs where even people graduating from top programs have to do a fellowship.

2. Work hard in residency, publish and earn respect from your PD and Chairman who might go to bat for you
3. Your first job won’t be your last so you can eventually get into the location you want

This was exactly what I was thinking

What exactly is anyone going to do with the information from this webinar that they have not already considered?

This is a joke. It’s another hand holding event to walk you through what anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock already knows.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please explain to me what the ACR even does? Serious question.

I have an ACR username i made years ago and get their emails. I have no idea what they do and how they compare and contrast to ABR

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me what the ACR even does? Serious question.

I have an ACR username i made years ago and get their emails. I have no idea what they do and how they compare and contrast to ABR

Beyond their accrediting program I also don’t know what they do. Being serious too.

• Haha
  • Love
Beyond their accrediting program I also don’t know what they do. Being serious too.

isnt that a problem though? I don’t believe for a second these people are benevolent. Somehow these arseholes are taxing me and i dont even know it. I don’t know it for certain, But deep down i just know its true they have their hands in my pockets!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Rad onc is still a top specialty in many aspects.
Especially in the aspect of having the most job market webinars.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

like my guy Trump says - ‘we will see’

Don't they run the in-service exam?

Is it really true that the ACR really does nothing? With ABR, ASTRO, and ACR, do they really add anything? Is it just another professional society to further promote education? That's fine, but I thought they were more important than that...

They used to be more important. Now not so much. The dues are ridiculous compared to other similar societies. They do create the in-service (which is a horrible exam from the perspective of psychometrics-never been publicly reported whether it correlates with anything) and the annoyingly unreadable ACR Appropriateness Criteria. Basically their mission has been corroded as other specialty societies evolve. I bet their RO membership is falling (at least i get begged to rejoin on annual basis but cannot justify $950 annual dues)

Reactions: 5 users
ACR does TXIT, which is much better than it used to be, and also some RadOnc lobbying in D.C.

They used to be more important. Now not so much. The dues are ridiculous compared to other similar societies. They do create the in-service (which is a horrible exam from the perspective of psychometrics-never been publicly reported whether it correlates with anything) and the annoyingly unreadable ACR Appropriateness Criteria. Basically their mission has been corroded as other specialty societies evolve. I bet their RO membership is falling (at least i get begged to rejoin on annual basis but cannot justify $950 annual dues)
I feel very sad I will never be a FACR.
Of course one way to pronounce FACR is “faker.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok folks so it appears we may have a totally useless no good organization of bean counters who are most notorious for creating an equally useless no good IT exam filled with penis cancer, fallopian cancer questions and they charge about 1k to let you be part of their group?

sounds about right, wouldn't expect anything less from our great field. You’re welcome, sir.

• Haha
There’s too many organizations in rad Onc

I feel no need to join almost all of them in future lol

The lobbying aspect is the only part I like bc we need representation. But I can just donate to PAC without joining

ACR does TXIT, which is much better than it used to be, and also some RadOnc lobbying in D.C.

Agree that it is better than it used to be...but man the bar is low. I have never seen any evidence that it tests what it is purported to test. Literally the only reason it's administered is because the ACGME mandates a "summative assessment" and few programs are vested enough in medical education to develop their own or do something else.

So basically people make money off of it and it decreases residency program workload by checking a box.

Cool.

Reactions: 2 users
I will always believe that ASTRO (with its flaws) is the organization that best represents the pure interests of RO--and will always support it. However, to put the ACR's role in perspective--

1. ACR is a much bigger organization and on better financial footing (own their building vs ASTRO having to rent their facilities), so despite the high dues for those in practice for a few years, they don't nickel and dime you for services like ASTRO does (if ASTRO was doing this webinar, it would be $99). Registration to ACR's annual meetings is free.
2. ACR has a chapter in every state and is the only mechanism for RO representation to all the state medical societies. ASTRO only has state captains and has no representation in any state medical societies.
3. Yes, ACR writes our inservice exams--granted it's flawed, but it's all we got. I don't see ACRO stepping up.
4. NRG/RTOG is under the auspices of the ACR. All those major studies that defined our practice? They all depended on ACR suppport.
5. They were the first and continue to be the industry standard for practice accreditation--definitely not perfect, but just goes to show there's room on the bench for ASTRO and ACRO. Maybe this principle could apply to the ABR.
6. All the giants in RO are ACR members. You want to successfully network? Go to an ACR meeting where your chances of having 1 on 1 interaction with these giants is 100x better than at ASTRO where you're in a lecture hall with thousands of rad oncs competing to network.
7. ACR has a seat on AMA's RUC--they actually help add and defend the codes specific to RO. ASTRO does not have a seat and depends on the ACR to represent RO to the RUC.
8. There are several ACR-ASTRO joint white papers that provide guidance on practice. For a few years, the 2 organizations didn't get along. Now they realize they can do more together.
9. Journal Advisor (previously Cogent Medicine) provides emailed summaries and reviews of major studies with commentary by RO giants.
10. Membership is free to med students and residents. After you start working, membership starts at $60 a year, and goes up as you continue in practice.
11. The bench is pretty crowded within ASTRO for people (med students, residents, and YP's) to get involved. There are lots of opportunities in the ACR.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
7. ACR has a seat on AMA's RUC--they actually help add and defend the codes specific to RO.
I was going to mention things like this. But I have mixed feelings. I wonder if they've failed in their defense missions. I can think of so many code changes and deletions through the years. About 15y folks were charging a special physics consult and special treatment procedure for every IMRT, a complex device charge for every beam. Simulations for IMRT. Because these coding maneuvers were expressly called for in Medicare's guidance documents. Next thing you know there's intra-industry kerfuffle that somehow we are draining the world of its precious, finite complex treatment device reservoirs or some such. Then *poof* the codes are changed and/or deleted overnight.

Can they do better at defending us in the future? To paraphrase the Bard... Angels and ministers of the ACR, defend us!

I was going to mention things like this. But I have mixed feelings. I wonder if they've failed in their defense missions. I can think of so many code changes and deletions through the years. About 15y folks were charging a special physics consult and special treatment procedure for every IMRT, a complex device charge for every beam. Simulations for IMRT. Because these coding maneuvers were expressly called for in Medicare's guidance documents. Next thing you know there's intra-industry kerfuffle that somehow we are draining the world of its precious, finite complex treatment device reservoirs or some such. Then *poof* the codes are changed and/or deleted overnight.

Can they do better at defending us in the future? To paraphrase the Bard... Angels and ministers of the ACR, defend us!
Make sure you're a member and make your voice heard. ACR can help amplify it. The guy who sits on the RUC for ACR is very supportive of and responsive to RO issues.

I will always believe that ASTRO (with its flaws) is the organization that best represents the pure interests of RO--and will always support it. However, to put the ACR's role in perspective--

1. ACR is a much bigger organization and on better financial footing (own their building vs ASTRO having to rent their facilities), so despite the high dues for those in practice for a few years, they don't nickel and dime you for services like ASTRO does (if ASTRO was doing this webinar, it would be $99). Registration to ACR's annual meetings is free.
2. ACR has a chapter in every state and is the only mechanism for RO representation to all the state medical societies. ASTRO only has state captains and has no representation in any state medical societies.
3. Yes, ACR writes our inservice exams--granted it's flawed, but it's all we got. I don't see ACRO stepping up.
4. NRG/RTOG is under the auspices of the ACR. All those major studies that defined our practice? They all depended on ACR suppport.
5. They were the first and continue to be the industry standard for practice accreditation--definitely not perfect, but just goes to show there's room on the bench for ASTRO and ACRO. Maybe this principle could apply to the ABR.
6. All the giants in RO are ACR members. You want to successfully network? Go to an ACR meeting where your chances of having 1 on 1 interaction with these giants is 100x better than at ASTRO where you're in a lecture hall with thousands of rad oncs competing to network.
7. ACR has a seat on AMA's RUC--they actually help add and defend the codes specific to RO. ASTRO does not have a seat and depends on the ACR to represent RO to the RUC.
8. There are several ACR-ASTRO joint white papers that provide guidance on practice. For a few years, the 2 organizations didn't get along. Now they realize they can do more together.
9. Journal Advisor (previously Cogent Medicine) provides emailed summaries and reviews of major studies with commentary by RO giants.
10. Membership is free to med students and residents. After you start working, membership starts at $60 a year, and goes up as you continue in practice.
11. The bench is pretty crowded within ASTRO for people (med students, residents, and YP's) to get involved. There are lots of opportunities in the ACR.

Wow - alright, I stand corrected!

I prefer "facker", for obvious reasons.
1588877046262.png

• Haha

Wow, that is nice to know. Thanks for the write up.

Wow, that is nice to know. Thanks for the write up.

Yeah, no kidding. It makes me want to go sign up for an ACR committee or something.

You could write excellent propaganda @FreeRT . Not saying what you wrote is propaganda but very convincing to have more respect for ACR.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, the ACR got rid of the requirement for 10 years of continuous membership to qualify for FACR, and now accepts 10 years of CUMULATIVE membership--understanding that people have bad years where they may have dropped their memberships. You still need to make meaningful contributions to the field or to the organization, so it's not like some other organizations we know of, where all you need is a pulse.

Perhaps you can consider to be a discussant ;)

The old isn't always bad for new years. New ideas may be nice. If it can bring positive reform, that would be rad.

1588904152324.png

ACR dues above-Getting you addicted

Not shilling for anybody but for other related societies (full membershio)

ASTRO $640
ABS $315
ASCO $630
ARS (who?) $275

Last edited:
  • Haha
View attachment 305584

ACR dues above-Getting you addicted

Not shilling for anybody but for other related societies (full membershio)

ASTRO $640
ABS $315
ASCO $630
ARS (who?) $275

Don’t sleep on ARS, they have the best meetings. I use them to plan out where my next vacation might be. Other than that , I have no clue what they do.

• Haha
Don’t sleep on ARS, they have the best meetings. I use them to plan out where my next vacation might be. Other than that , I have no clue what they do.

Many sleepy people in rad onc. Tsetse fly disease of mind?

• Haha
With the confluence of social distancing, cancellation of away rotations, decline in treatment volume, and loosening of supervision requirements, it seems like this would be the perfect year for radiation oncology to decline participation in the Match. We can reassess in 2025!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Some say the best days are yet to come. I don’t know much about it but many are saying it. Look I know of someone who knows someone who got a great job. I reckon i even read it on sdn that a chap got the “job of a lifetime”. All is good. The best is yet to come. The ACR, ADROP, ABR, ACRO, ARRO?, ASTRO all sort of beautiful acronyms are on it. Im sorry if i left you out.

for now keep hustling and shaking them hands. Secret handshake an absolute must with “lot of networking”. im sure it will work out. I mean it worked for some guy on Twitter.

We’ll see what happens!

I'm from the radiology world - just wanted to chime in that the ACR is hugely important within radiology, and it's our main professional society. The College is the major lobbying force in Washington and represents us before Congress, CMS, and other agencies. They also vote on the RUC to determine the RVUs for CPT codes, which includes for DR, IR, and RO. Basically the ACR helps us get paid for our services, both as radiologists and rad oncs.

There are also partnerships with industry for AI development, public awareness for services like mammography and lung cancer CT screening, residency education, and training for physicians in advocacy and economics.

ARS is the country club of rad onc. The male chairs of many departments attend this meeting faithfully and it's a parallel gathering of the "Stepford wives" of these chairs. Despite lower annual dues (mentioned above by @Chartreuse Wombat), the ARS meeting is by far the most expensive meeting you will attend--unless you're a resident with a travel grant.

Back in the day, meetings were held at cool international destinations--always ending at 12 noon each day, but since the crash of 2008, academic institutions put a moratorium on international travel. Now meetings are limited to high class domestic resorts. Despite 5-star meeting venues, world class receptions fit for an ambassador, and its being the oldest oncology organization with a long line of illustrious ROs as past presidents, it's got little to show for financially. It owns no property and its HQ is based wherever the hired management company is located. Unless you're a featured keynote VIP speaker outside of rad onc, you will pay full registration, travel, and hotel. Members who speak/moderate/serve on committees, do so as a labor of love.

After the ACR stopped supporting the former ACR Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) for radiation oncology (excellent evidence and expert based recommendations on treatment going several levels above NCCN and specfic to RO), and ASTRO decined to take it on, it was the ARS that stepped up to take over the AUC, continue to support the committees for all the organ sites, and publish updates to recommendations. The ACR is still involved, but to a much lesser degree (the ARS leaders who took this on are also ACR members).

ARS supports an online panel of experts who can weigh in on any tough case you have. It's a shame how little it's being used, since everyone is using MedNet--but I've not been disappointed. I submitted a tough case about a year ago, and got a response from a Harvard rad onc the same day.

ARS has a medical jeopardy game at their meetings that pit residents from various programs against faculty. The questions are primarily topics in RO, but there are other neat trivia categories too. Always thought ASTRO/ARRO should have done something like that, but it's become a popular program at the annual mtg.

ARS also offers enough SAMS credits at their meetings to fulfill 2 years worth of MOC requirements--free with your registration, unlike ASTRO who charges $$ for each module you sign up for.

Finally, as a smaller meeting, you will also meet and have an easier time interacting with the giants and movers and shakers in the RO world. This includes many well known RO's from Europe and Asia.

Nice organization to belong to. If you don't have the $$ to attend their meetings, you can still get involved and serve on their committees during the year.

ARS is the country club of rad onc. The male chairs of many departments attend this meeting faithfully and it's a parallel gathering of the "Stepford wives" of these chairs. Despite lower annual dues (mentioned above by @Chartreuse Wombat), the ARS meeting is by far the most expensive meeting you will attend--unless you're a resident with a travel grant.

Back in the day, meetings were held at cool international destinations--always ending at 12 noon each day, but since the crash of 2008, academic institutions put a moratorium on international travel. Now meetings are limited to high class domestic resorts. Despite 5-star meeting venues, world class receptions fit for an ambassador, and its being the oldest oncology organization with a long line of illustrious ROs as past presidents, it's got little to show for financially. It owns no property and its HQ is based wherever the hired management company is located. Unless you're a featured keynote VIP speaker outside of rad onc, you will pay full registration, travel, and hotel. Members who speak/moderate/serve on committees, do so as a labor of love.

After the ACR stopped supporting the former ACR Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) for radiation oncology (excellent evidence and expert based recommendations on treatment going several levels above NCCN and specfic to RO), and ASTRO decined to take it on, it was the ARS that stepped up to take over the AUC, continue to support the committees for all the organ sites, and publish updates to recommendations. The ACR is still involved, but to a much lesser degree (the ARS leaders who took this on are also ACR members).

ARS supports an online panel of experts who can weigh in on any tough case you have. It's a shame how little it's being used, since everyone is using MedNet--but I've not been disappointed. I submitted a tough case about a year ago, and got a response from a Harvard rad onc the same day.

ARS has a medical jeopardy game at their meetings that pit residents from various programs against faculty. The questions are primarily topics in RO, but there are other neat trivia categories too. Always thought ASTRO/ARRO should have done something like that, but it's become a popular program at the annual mtg.

ARS also offers enough SAMS credits at their meetings to fulfill 2 years worth of MOC requirements--free with your registration, unlike ASTRO who charges $$ for each module you sign up for.

Finally, as a smaller meeting, you will also meet and have an easier time interacting with the giants and movers and shakers in the RO world. This includes many well known RO's from Europe and Asia.

Nice organization to belong to. If you don't have the $$ to attend their meetings, you can still get involved and serve on their committees during the year.

I think I've learned more about RO professional societies from your posts than everything I've heard in a decade+ of real life...

Reactions: 6 users
True story about ARS. I attended a planning meeting to script out next year's agenda about a decade ago.

One of the "luminaries" (who held no position within the organization at the time but had previously) stated that he should be giving a speaking part "because residents expected to be able to meet people like him; that is the reason they attended the meeting".

I have attended ARS three times in three decades. Chosen based on location as a partially subsidized vacation with family. I hung up my poster after registering and did not attend a minute of the meeting.

• Haha
True story about ARS. I attended a planning meeting to script out next year's agenda about a decade ago.

One of the "luminaries" (who held no position within the organization at the time but had previously) stated that he should be giving a speaking part "because residents expected to be able to meet people like him; that is the reason they attended the meeting".

I have attended ARS three times in three decades. Chosen based on location as a partially subsidized vacation with family. I hung up my poster after registering and did not attend a minute of the meeting.
Yup.... I remember Barcelona and Hawaii being two of the locations back to back i think, didn't have the nice cme fund back then to go

Definitely better than the usual Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas locations. I’m mad the Miami conference was cancelled but I’m not a fan of going to ASTRO conferences anyway. I wonder if virtual conferences is the way of the future as we navigate a new era.

I'm unaware of any in-person medical meeting happening in US right now. At my hospital, even tumor board seats are restricted to "disease leaders". Most of the conferences I've considered through Nov are cancelled or "virtualized". Virtual meeting is a waste of time. If anyone has inside info/tips, please share.

Looking forward to next generation of virtually schooled and trained physicians. Helping a med student in Step 1 right now. Had lots of “virtual classes.” She’s smart but she can pronounce maybe 50% of the terminology correctly without intense verbal mangling.

Looking forward to next generation of virtually schooled and trained physicians. Helping a med student in Step 1 right now. Had lots of “virtual classes.” She’s smart but she can pronounce maybe 50% of the terminology correctly without intense verbal mangling.

Curious why you think hearing the pronunciation of a word over video is different from the back of the auditorium, without the opportunity to hear it multiple times with benefit of being able to rewind and listen?

hmmmm.

Curious why you think hearing the pronunciation of a word over video is different from the back of the auditorium, without the opportunity to hear it multiple times with benefit of being able to rewind and listen?

hmmmm.
Guess I think that classroom learning is more Paper Chase-y versus passively YouTube-y.

Guess I think that classroom learning is more Paper Chase-y versus passively YouTube-y.

I remember in medschool there were some people who never went to class. I would just see them at test time, i thought it was quite weird as i am old school myself, i still think its crazy that they went through medschool barely ever touching foot in the place, but now in hindsight these people seem like total visionaries to me! They were the ghosts of my medschool class.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

If you're a rad onc trying to get involved with ACR, are you treated like the red-headed step child? You've definitely made a convincing case for it being a valuable advocate of rad onc...if we have enough sway within the organization.

If you're a rad onc trying to get involved with ACR, are you treated like the red-headed step child? You've definitely made a convincing case for it being a valuable advocate of rad onc...if we have enough sway within the organization.

LOL, it's all about perspective. When you look into ACR from afar, it's easy to feel marginalized by a predominately diagnostic radiology organization. But keep in mind that RO's are not alone in feeling that way. The IR & NM members have felt the same and have sometimes had tense relationships with their fellow DR colleagues. Nevertheless, the senior ACR leadership have always voiced their support for RO and those RO's who have gotten involved have been pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the DR membership can be, often saying how much they want more RO's involved. The JACR makes it a point to have an RO as associate editor, and has been publishing more RO related papers. The JACR on its own is a very readable journal filled with perspectives and practical articles on economics, leadership, and advocacy that span all specialities. The Council of Affiliated Regional Radiation Oncology Societies (CARROS) is an ACR chapter where RO's (all the red-headed stepchildren) can network and get introduced to the much larger organization.

• Haha

I presented a poster at ARS as a medical student. I think I was the only person at the poster session. :rofl:

One of the chairs I talked to by the pool referred to it as a "boondoggle."

I presented a poster at ARS as a medical student. I think I was the only person at the poster session. :rofl:

One of the chairs I talked to by the pool referred to it as a "boondoggle."
I think ARS leadership realized this, and revamped their program to include a faculty-led poster walk wine and cheese reception--typically on the evening of the first day. Over the last few years, this has led to better engagement with students/residents with posters and robust discussion among attendees, also making this a popular event in the ARS annual mtg program.

Shill much...
Another interpretation..the science is so bad and the interest so low that we need to give people food and booze...

• Haha
Shill much...
Another interpretation..the science is so bad and the interest so low that we need to give people food and booze...
It is probably known what people are going to that meeting for.... If people want to get their poster taken seriously, better chance at ASTRO, or, especially, ASCO

Last edited:
  • Haha
It is probably known what people are going to that meeting for.... If people want to get their poster taken seriously, better chance at ASTRO, or, especially, ASCO
Good luck having your poster getting any audience among the thousands at ASTRO and esp ASCO. Even if you're accepted for an oral, there are just too many competing tracks during these big mtgs. Smaller mtgs like ARS & ACRO get you more visibility...even if the purpose of the mtg isn't for education.