Radiologic Tech major to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ball12Rad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Here is the deal, I am 3/4 of the way through my bachelor's for Radiologic Tecknology (RadTech). My GPA is currently a 3.8. Recently I have had a few people say i should thinking about med school, however I know most pre-med major in biology. My question is should I would it be better for me to finish out my Radiography degree and take the few extra classes needed to apply to med school; or should I change major to biology? Will it hurt my chances applying with a Rad Tech Bachelor's and not a biology bachelors? Any insight is well appreciated. Thanks to all who reply.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't matter at all what you majored in, as long as you do well in the pre-reqs, have a strong MCAT, and good medically-related ECs.

/thread

Personally, I would finish the tech school since you are so close to being done.
I know of a few people who became physicians after being a tech.
Its also a safety net. :)

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since when is radiology tech a bachelor's degree? Are you at a 4-year university?

azuldelcielo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since when is radiology tech a bachelor's degree? Are you at a 4-year university?

my school offers a bachelor's degree in rad tech also. they just added it this past year - i definitely would chosen the major if the program would have been available a few years ago.

gopher22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would finish the tech school since you are so close to being done.
I know of a few people who became physicians after being a tech.
Its also a safety net. :)

I'm with persistent. Finish the degree with the pre-med requirements if you can. Otherwise, have you considered a post-bacc program?

mezmerized7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You definitely don't have to change your major to Biology. Continue with the rad tech degree and ensure to have your pre-med requirements (don't forget your English classes). I am sure that will be fine...I have a BS in Spanish...figure that one out :D