Radiology chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotchandsoda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I posted this in the radiology thread, so sorry for the double post. But wanted to get some more advice. I was initially interested in psych but was turned off during my last elective in psychiatry.

My next favorite thing was diagnostic radiology, I am not too interested in IR. I got 240s(lower) in step 1 and 220s(lower) in step 2 (I had a family emergency the days before my test and could not focus, do not know whether to bring this up at all). I wanted to go to a mid-tier academic program in a city and wanted to know if it was possible for me.

I was thinking like NYC (NYU, Albert Einstein), Philly(Jeff, temple), Boston (BU), Baltimore (UMD), Virginia, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, South Carolina.

Do I have a shot at mid-tier programs in these cities? How should I approach the low step 2?

I currently go to a mid-tier MD, have 6 pubs (one radiology submission which I am first author).

Members don't see this ad.

Should be good for UNC, monte, Jeff, einstein

UVA and UPMC a bit of a reach
NYU is a high reach.

I think you'll be alright. If you legitimately felt that situation affected your STEP2, than you can mention it. But the first thing is to improve on things you can control, and to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think radiology cares too much for Step 2. Your Step 1 is good. You have a good shot.

I don't think radiology cares too much for Step 2. Your Step 1 is good. You have a good shot.

I've actually heard that from a couple of attendings....but I was sure they were making me feel better

-

Last edited:
Hey guys

I posted this in the radiology thread, so sorry for the double post. But wanted to get some more advice. I was initially interested in psych but was turned off during my last elective in psychiatry.

My next favorite thing was diagnostic radiology, I am not too interested in IR. I got 240s(lower) in step 1 and 220s(lower) in step 2 (I had a family emergency the days before my test and could not focus, do not know whether to bring this up at all). I wanted to go to a mid-tier academic program in a city and wanted to know if it was possible for me.

I was thinking like NYC (NYU, Albert Einstein), Philly(Jeff, temple), Boston (BU), Baltimore (UMD), Virginia, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, South Carolina.

Do I have a shot at mid-tier programs in these cities? How should I approach the low step 2?

I currently go to a mid-tier MD, have 6 pubs (one radiology submission which I am first author).

That step 2 will definitely hurt you, but i think u still have a shot at mid tier academic programs.

Doubt you'll get an invite to NYU which is a top 10 rads program and really competitive..but cant hurt to apply.

His best bet then would be to apply broadly and to plenty of community programs.
I've always wondered, since its practically necessary to have a fellowship in radiology, does this actually have an impact on ones chances of getting a fellowship like in IM (where institution matters heavily after residency).

How competitive are Texas programs? How would a step 1 237 look for the region?

I've always wondered, since its practically necessary to have a fellowship in radiology, does this actually have an impact on ones chances of getting a fellowship like in IM (where institution matters heavily after residency).

I'd say yes because academic programs tend to have more connections that community ones. For example, I'm at an academic program and for certain subspecialties, we basically have a direct pipeline to some top fellowships and send people there every year. Community programs may not have the same luxury.

I'm at a lower tier academic program in the south. Fellowships for radiology on the whole are significantly less competitive than medicine fellowships. I just went through the fellowship match for neuroradiology and there were something like 175 applicants for 225 spots. Something like 33% of spots were unfilled. That number was 20% in mammo. At least in neurorads places like Duke, UW, Yale didn't fill this year and places like Emory, UPenn and Stanford didn't fill last year.

Most of the non-match fellowships besides MSK are also fairly uncompetitive. There are several FMG's in my program that took spots in body imaging at Hopkins and Penn.

I'd say stronger community programs shouldn't have too much of a problem matching to a decent fellowship and name. Honestly there aren't even that many bad community programs anyway.

I'm at a lower tier academic program in the south. Fellowships for radiology on the whole are significantly less competitive than medicine fellowships. I just went through the fellowship match for neuroradiology and there were something like 175 applicants for 225 spots. Something like 33% of spots were unfilled. That number was 20% in mammo. At least in neurorads places like Duke, UW, Yale didn't fill this year and places like Emory, UPenn and Stanford didn't fill last year.

Most of the non-match fellowships besides MSK are also fairly uncompetitive. There are several FMG's in my program that took spots in body imaging at Hopkins and Penn.

I'd say stronger community programs shouldn't have too much of a problem matching to a decent fellowship and name. Honestly there aren't even that many bad community programs anyway.

What about IR independent residency?