Radiology fellowships for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hshaikh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear everyone,
I am an international medical graduate with 12 years of extensive experience in the radiology field in my home country. I have spoken with many people (and the American Board of Radiology) since immigrating to this country and found that it is possible for me to become a part of a radiology fellowship without having to first go through residency. The only problem is that I do not know which programs would be IMG friendly in terms of my situation. For example how do I find places that are looking for fellows? Any ideas, advice, or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear everyone,
I am an international medical graduate with 12 years of extensive experience in the radiology field in my home country. I have spoken with many people (and the American Board of Radiology) since immigrating to this country and found that it is possible for me to become a part of a radiology fellowship without having to first go through residency.

You must have a post-graduate certification in radiology in order to be eligible for this pathway (e.g. membership in the royal college of surgeons of the UK or a postgraduate certificate in radiology from india). Also, you will need to pass USMLE 1-2ck and obtain ECFMG certification first.

Yes, this can be done, but it is a long and stony path. You can do the fellowship, but often it is very difficult to get a committment for the junior faculty type job afterwards.

A good idea is to look what fellowships remain unfilled in the match (in the specialties that go through a match).
Fellowships that tend to remain unfilled these days are breast imaging and thoracic radiology. Also, there is a need for mammographers at many institutions. So, your chances of finding a junior faculty position in mammography are considerably higher than lets say a neuroradiology or interventional radiology position.

Thanks for the advice. So I guess I have to first do the USMLE steps before going any further with applying?