radiology for the FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajshah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have completed my USMLE steps (I=240, II=250 scores) and have published papers and can obtain excellent LORs.
I am already in radiology in Europe and have a couple of years to go before passing all my exams and becoming attending level.
I really want to work permanently in the USA.
Should I apply now for residency and H1B?
Or should I wait and come to USA as a fellow and then apply for an academic position? (it would have to be on a permanent visa)
Many thanks
Raj

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to me that you would have much better luck coming in as faculty and getting your ABR certification after four years than you would trying to get a rads residency.

i am currently in South Africa.
How easy is to get in to a fellowship program in USA as an overseas Radiologist ?
do they need usmle or?
many thanks

Hello
I have completed my USMLE steps (I=240, II=250 scores) and have published papers and can obtain excellent LORs.
I am already in radiology in Europe and have a couple of years to go before passing all my exams and becoming attending level.
I really want to work permanently in the USA.
Should I apply now for residency and H1B?
Or should I wait and come to USA as a fellow and then apply for an academic position? (it would have to be on a permanent visa)
Many thanks
Raj

Sorry I don't know which Visa is which. But you should definitely try to get the work and not the study visa. It will make finding a position an order of magnitude less painful. Some places will use visa issues to exclude FMGs from candidacy. You are already at a disadvantage for being foreign-trained. Having visa issues makes it too easy to reject you right off the bat.

Furthermore there is some kind of policy in effect in which if you apply for the study visa, you can not apply for the permanent work visa without leaving the country for 2 years and then coming back. Don't let this happen to you.

Good luck