radiology in 1st 2nd years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious how other schools teach radiology in the first two years of school, if at all. I know at AZCOM we get a whopping 9-12 hours of it....boy I feel ready to read a plain film and a CT. Does anyone know how much is actually on Step 1 COMLEX and USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

Here at NSU, we get 18 hours of Radiology, worth 1 credit, in our first year. I believe we get some of it during our 2nd year, as we do our systems. We got some of it in our anatomy class too, but for me some of that was just memorization and just figuring out where I was.

Good question about how much is on the boards........

I have been told that there is minimal radiology on the boards, and any radiology questions will be part of a vignette. You are supposed to get the answer primarily from the question stem and not rely too much on radiology. We seem to get quite a bit of radiology at UHS, and we are even tested on it in our anatomy practicals, but I think this will help us more on rotations than what we are expected to know for boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by swaamedic
I am curious how other schools teach radiology in the first two years of school, if at all. I know at AZCOM we get a whopping 9-12 hours of it....boy I feel ready to read a plain film and a CT. Does anyone know how much is actually on Step 1 COMLEX and USMLE?

Further proof that AZCOM is geared toward producing primary care docs

I seem to only recall getting 2-3 lectures on it at my school. Rads is not covered on step I, and it's barely covered on step II. Most of your knowledge of rads will come from seeing films during your clinical rotations and a lot of people do a rads rotation during fourth year.

We had a 1 unit Radiology course at the end of last semester, ~12 hours, mostly normal stuff. There were some radiology questions on our anatomy exams too. We'll see more of the pathological stuff next year.

Originally posted by azcomdiddy
Further proof that AZCOM is geared toward producing primary care docs

Originally posted by DrSmiles
I have been told that there is minimal radiology on the boards, and any radiology questions will be part of a vignette. You are supposed to get the answer primarily from the question stem and not rely too much on radiology. We seem to get quite a bit of radiology at UHS, and we are even tested on it in our anatomy practicals, but I think this will help us more on rotations than what we are expected to know for boards.

YEA! go uhs!!! heheeh :)

xerox an x-ray and that is what you get. I don't recall anything on Step 1, Minimal on 2 and minimal on 3. The H&P that they give you is enough to get the right dx or tx.

My fellow interns from allopathic/osteopathic programs were all on the same level at reading xrays. The only people that broke out from the pack were dr.s that did 1-2 rads rotations. Don't sweat it. BTW IM docs, who are considered primary care, read their films on the wards and base their treatment on what they see. They don't wait 12 hours for the radiologist report to be dictated.

At PCOM we have integrated Radiology as part of each system we study. Radiology was also a weekly class throughout our first year anatomy course. Our radiology professor, Dr. Meals, is well known in the medical community.

We also have a 3rd year Radiology core rotation here on campus where you view up to 1000 films (or so I'm told) with Dr. Meals in the 3 week time period.

PCOMers definately get a strong dose of radiology.

http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Progra...t_Lee_Meals__D_O_/robert_lee_meals__d.o..html