• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Radiology question for part 2

dentheartthrob

DreamDMDweaver
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2005
    On mandibular molars when the central ray is directed distally, the mesial canals will appear in what relation on the radiograph

1. mesiolingual canal distal to the mesiobuccal canal
    2. mesiolingual canal mesial to the mesiobuccal canal
    3. mesiolingual canal superimposed on the mesiobuccal canal

ans. from packet is 2. How does this relate to the SLOB rule? Thanks

drmanglore

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Sep 28, 2007
      hi, I think this is the explanation: from what i've read SLOB stands for "Same side lingual and opposite side buccal". Therefore this implies that if the xray tube is shifted mesial to its original reference point and the object being viewed also moves to the same side that is mesially in the xray then the object is located lingually, and vice versa. So in the question they said that the xray is directed distally that means the tube is shifted mesially, therefore applying SLOB, whatever is on the lingual side will move mesially and whatever is on buccal side will move distally, So looking at the mesial root or canals, the mesiolingual will appear mesial in relation to mesiobuccal

dentheartthrob

DreamDMDweaver
      10+ Year Member
      Apr 14, 2005
        hi, I think this is the explanation: from what i've read SLOB stands for "Same side lingual and opposite side buccal". Therefore this implies that if the xray tube is shifted mesial to its original reference point and the object being viewed also moves to the same side that is mesially in the xray then the object is located lingually, and vice versa. So in the question they said that the xray is directed distally that means the tube is shifted mesially, therefore applying SLOB, whatever is on the lingual side will move mesially and whatever is on buccal side will move distally, So looking at the mesial root or canals, the mesiolingual will appear mesial in relation to mesiobuccal

oic, thanks. i was thinking of the tube instead of the xray beam.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.