Radiology question for part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentheartthrob

DreamDMDweaver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On mandibular molars when the central ray is directed distally, the mesial canals will appear in what relation on the radiograph

1. mesiolingual canal distal to the mesiobuccal canal
2. mesiolingual canal mesial to the mesiobuccal canal
3. mesiolingual canal superimposed on the mesiobuccal canal

ans. from packet is 2. How does this relate to the SLOB rule? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi, I think this is the explanation: from what i've read SLOB stands for "Same side lingual and opposite side buccal". Therefore this implies that if the xray tube is shifted mesial to its original reference point and the object being viewed also moves to the same side that is mesially in the xray then the object is located lingually, and vice versa. So in the question they said that the xray is directed distally that means the tube is shifted mesially, therefore applying SLOB, whatever is on the lingual side will move mesially and whatever is on buccal side will move distally, So looking at the mesial root or canals, the mesiolingual will appear mesial in relation to mesiobuccal

hi, I think this is the explanation: from what i've read SLOB stands for "Same side lingual and opposite side buccal". Therefore this implies that if the xray tube is shifted mesial to its original reference point and the object being viewed also moves to the same side that is mesially in the xray then the object is located lingually, and vice versa. So in the question they said that the xray is directed distally that means the tube is shifted mesially, therefore applying SLOB, whatever is on the lingual side will move mesially and whatever is on buccal side will move distally, So looking at the mesial root or canals, the mesiolingual will appear mesial in relation to mesiobuccal

oic, thanks. i was thinking of the tube instead of the xray beam.