Radiology Residencies........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJRich

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a site and/or list of rankings of radiology residency programs. I am going to school in NJ now and plan on staying up here (ie. NJ, NY, Pennsylvania) or moving down south (ie. Georgia, Florida, or North Carolina). Any suggestions are appreciated! As of now I am clueless on who's the best and what to look for in a radiology program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this is some help
<a href="http://www.scutwork.com/Radiology/" target="_blank">http://www.scutwork.com/Radiology/</a>

As far as I know there is no "site" per say that ranks radiology programs. Scutwork is good because it allows medical students and residents to describe their program. However, these posts most likely have some bias behind them and there are not enough posts to objectively compare programs. From what I've heard and read during this radiology interview season the top programs in the areas you've selected are, in no particular order:
NYU
Columbia/Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Einstein/Montifiore
U of Rochester
U PENN
UNC
Duke

In Boston:
MGH
Beth Isreal/Deaconess
Brigham and Women's

There are many more programs that are very good, but these seem to get the most press.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there are any rankings out there except perhaps which places get the most grant money but wherever you go, the emphasis will be on learning the clinical radiology stuff rather than research. In my opinion there are three classes of programs: excellent, very good, and poor. The majority of radiology programs are very good with a minority being excellent and very poor. For the most part, radiology isn't like other specialties where they can work you to death with minimal teaching. There are radiology programs like this, but most of them have at least 5 hours a week of dedicated conference/teaching away from reading the clinical stuff but for the most part you're learning while looking at films and the best radiologists are the ones who work hard and read a lot away from work. There is no way to get spoon fed all the stuff you need to know during a residency.

What's best for someone like myself isn't best for someone else. I don't care for large cities, I'm not interested in research and have no interest in being at a large academic institution or plan on teaching. So for me, I've liked some of the community programs more than the university programs where the residents seemed very happy. You'll get the studies and experience pretty much anywhere so it comes down to liking the PD, the town and the other radiologists and residents.

Have you informed the accredidation service that you have found "poor" residency programs. I'm sure they would really appreciate the input from such a qualified source. God knows we don't need any more "poorly" trained radiologists out there than we already have.

It is still amazing to me how much bull**** is posted on this site.

Instead of relying on "rankings" to decide your future (which don't exist by the way), why don't you go out and do your own research on the interview trail and come up with an opinion of your own!!!

Fah-Q when I say poor, I am using my own ranking system. There are radiology programs out there that are on probation for several reasons (I only interviewed at one program that was on probation) and obviously the ACGME feels the same. Some programs with almost no didactics and some with more call than others. I clearly stated in my post that these were my opinions and certainly not objective in any way. Overall I'd say over 95% of the programs out there are very good or excellent depending on your perspective. Again my opinion, although I've only been to 13 interviews and there are over 100 programs out there, my perspective is certainly limited.

I agree with Jim; our opinions only. The vast majority of them are very good. I've been on 12 interviews and only 1 I considered poor, which already was on probation. BTW, I did not interview at any of those programs in my previous post. I created the list from what I've heard and read during this interview period.

I do not know much about the east cost, but in the south I think the strong programs are.

Emory
Duke
UNC
UVA
UNC
Wake
Vanderbelt

With Duke, Emory and UVA being the top three. I am sure this is up for debate and I am sure the other programs are equally as good. This was the impression I got during interviewing a year ago.

Here are 2 PD's thoughts: for what it is worth.

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/web/medstudent/cd/cardev/" target="_blank">http://www.duke.edu/web/medstudent/cd/cardev/</a>

<a href="http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/student/residencymatching/radiology.html" target="_blank">http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/student/residencymatching/radiology.html</a>

Jim, can I email you and ask some more radiology questions? I am in Michigan and especially interested in Michigan programs and rotations to do next year. Thanks! you can email me first: [email protected]

Originally posted by pags:
•As far as I know there is no "site" per say that ranks radiology programs. Scutwork is good because it allows medical students and residents to describe their program. However, these posts most likely have some bias behind them and there are not enough posts to objectively compare programs. From what I've heard and read during this radiology interview season the top programs in the areas you've selected are, in no particular order:
NYU
Columbia/Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Einstein/Montifiore
U of Rochester
U PENN
UNC
Duke

In Boston:
MGH
Beth Isreal/Deaconess
Brigham and Women's

There are many more programs that are very good, but these seem to get the most press.•••

IMHO there's no way Einstein/Monefiore in New York could be a top program...I interviewed there and got a bad feeling for resident morale, incorporation of new technologies, and financial stability of the program. In the end we all have to make our own "top 10" list and not rely on other people's opinions...obviously this includes my opinion too!

Oh, by the way, could those of you who interviewed at Boston University post what you think of the place (just curious)...I didn't get the greatest gut feeling there. Thanks