fonzy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
Hello,

I have heard that radiology residency involves 80 hrs a week. Is that true?
I cannot put in that kind of hrs. I get tired and burned out beyond 10 hrs a day.

Please share your experience in detail.

Thanks
best

fonzy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the response!

Is it 50 hrs/week average for the entire residency or just the first year?

thanks

best

About the Ads

Jim Picotte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2001
Traverse City, Michigan
Status (Visible)
We don't do 80 hours here...more like between 40 to 60 a week for entire residency and that includes the call and weekends. 50-55 would be a good average though.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
What's the deal with the 80 hr work week and moonlighting? If I work 80 hrs/week in my residency program can I still moonlight? My understanding is that I would not be able to moonlight at the institution I am training at, but could moonlight somwhere else if I have reached the 80 hr limit for the week. Is this true?

Jim Picotte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2001
Traverse City, Michigan
Status (Visible)
You can work a total of 80 hours a week during residency plus moonlighting in or outside your own institution. Moonlighting hours inside your program or outside COUNT against your 80 hours a week. There will not be any more moonlighting for medicine next year at my hospital as far as I know. Seems like they should be allowed if on a non-call month though.

So the answer is "no" you can't moonlight if you work 80 hours inside your residency program as your time would be up. No it's not true that outside moonlighting doesn't count against the 80 hour a week limit.

droliver

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Jim,

I talked to our program director & a current member of the RRC about this & they feel that the outside moonlighting loophole is going to be closed officially. The effect of this is going to be widespread formal prohibition of it most likely except during vacation periods when you have no clinical duties

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.