Mar 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,

I’m currently a PGY2 rads resident (did a medicine prelim year) at a community hospital in the northeast. I’ve always been interested in psychiatry (I can see that now in retrospect) and did well in my psych rotation in med school; one of my letter writers was a psych attending. After a lot of deliberation, I’ve decided that I want to try to switch into psychiatry. Radiology is a great field, but I can’t see myself doing what my attendings are doing for the rest of my life. I miss the patient contact…I read psych books in my spare time…I’ve sat in rounds on the psych unit when I have the time…

I’m interested in a program that has a strong background in psychotherapy as well as psychopharm. I understand my options at this point are limited, but I’m geographically flexible and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to find a spot in an academic program. If anyone has any advice or knows of places with open spots, I’d really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Hi all,

I’m currently a PGY2 rads resident (did a medicine prelim year) at a community hospital in the northeast. I’ve always been interested in psychiatry (I can see that now in retrospect) and did well in my psych rotation in med school; one of my letter writers was a psych attending. After a lot of deliberation, I’ve decided that I want to try to switch into psychiatry. Radiology is a great field, but I can’t see myself doing what my attendings are doing for the rest of my life. I miss the patient contact…I read psych books in my spare time…I’ve sat in rounds on the psych unit when I have the time…

I’m interested in a program that has a strong background in psychotherapy as well as psychopharm. I understand my options at this point are limited,
ummmm...why in the world would you think that? You're obviously a qualified candidate as you matched into rads.....an impressive accomplishment. You've already completed a prelim year. In psych, you're a superduper elite candidate....

I'd look for open pgy-2 slots now, and *good* ones.......