Radiology text for the non-radiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey rads folks,

I was wondering if you could recommend a text that provides a good, sound overview of interpreting basic radiographic images that are commonly encountered (xrays, CT's...particularly CT images). I am certainly not looking for something that will prepare me for a rads in-service exam, because I do not plan on being a radiologist :D. I'm merely looking for something that provides a practical approach to interpreting images that can provide some good pictorial examples.

I have been kind of frustrated just 'learning as I go' on the wards, because it is such a shotgun approach and half of the time I don't know if what I'm being taught is actually sound.

Thx in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to spend a lot of time to get good at it. And being mediocre at it does not really help clinically. It is the same as the rest of medicine. It is all about experience and doing it multiple times. So even if you read a radiology CT text book back to back, you will not be able to read in an acceptable level.
My recommendation is to try to learn some common and important patterns like Pneumothorax and pleural effusion on CXR, or free peritoneal air on CT abdomen.
I can not really think of a book that can help a lot. It is mostly by experience and case by case.

Learning radiology is a great book, mostly aimed at medical students but with lessons useful for all clinicians. The website www.learningradiology.com also has several useful powerpoint presentations such as "can't miss" lesions.

Also, all clinicians should read Felsons Principles of Chest Roentgenology for evaluations of chest radiographs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Squire's is a nice book that is written in a straightforward method.

I think the ones listed (Felson's, Squire's and Learning Radiology) all work well together to get a general picture.

Felson's is great for developing that strategy. No, you aren't going to be able to read imaging studies but they offer you enough knowledge base to understand what is being discussed and to see what is being talked about when you get the study back.

recommend a text that provides a good, sound overview of interpreting basic radiographic images that are commonly encountered (xrays, CT's...particularly CT images).

Learningradiology as suggested is a good one.

Thieme has a nice series of radiology books including ones on X-ray, CT, ultrasound aimed at beginners.

If you want something very basic on chest X-rays, aimed at interns & medical students, then check out "Basics of Chest Radiology: A Beginner's Guide to Chest Imaging" by Wilson & Davis. You can finish it in one night. That should get you started.