Radiology Text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year medical student preparing for a Radiology elective and I am interested in Radiology. I will be doing the elective at a very competitive Rads program and want to be prepared. Which text would be best suited for my interests....I would like to add that I am one of those students that enjoys having books so that I can reference them often, etc. Here's three that I have come across. Anyone have any opinion on these or suggestions of others?

Paul & Juhl's Essentials of Radiologic Imaging, 7th ed.

Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology, 5th ed.

Clinical Radiology: The Essentials, by Daffner, 4th ed.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year student, so take this with a grain of salt:

I tried Squire's and while it's got a great and readable approach focused on really understanding what's going on, it doesn't really go into findings and differentials.

I thought Radiology Secrets was better for that, but it's not about understanding it's like the Cliff's Notes version.

1. Wiest, Fundamentals of Emergency Radiology. You can read it in 2 or 3 nights and you'll be way ahead of the game.

2. Wolf, The Wolf Files. Yeah, that's me and I'm biased, but it recently became the number 1 selling radiology title in the country and that didn't happen by accident. It teaches/quizzes the basics of chest, abdomen & ortho.

3. Most programs use Brant & Helms (vs. Paul & Juhl), though I wouldn't buy either until you start radiology.

4. My small piece of advice. Don't try to impress the staff & residents with what you know when you do your radiology rotation. It just doesn't work. Nobody expects you to know anything about radiology. Show you're interested and that you're a normal person. Let the PD know you're interested in the program and ask his advice/help. Give him your CV and let it speak for itself.

Good luck