• Radiology

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Non-invasive cardiology

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys, I want to get into the medical field but I don't want to be involved in surgery which is why radiology appealed to me (and I like working with computers) but then again I was also interested in non-invasive cardiology. This thread has probably already been posted but I couldn't find it so here it goes again. Please just tell me the differences in work hours, salary, amount of commitment required for each, and so on. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you a pre-med? If so, I'd worry more about getting into medical school than choosing a specialty at this point.

If you are a medical student, you should do rotations in both fields so you can see first-hand what the fields are like. Non-invasive cardiology and diagnostic radiology are very different fields...

If you are completely oblivious as to how US medical training works, diagnostic radiology is a residency that is 4 years long and takes place after medical school and a 1 year internship, with options to do additional 1-2 year fellowships. Cardiology is a 3 year fellowship completed after a 3 year residency in internal medicine after medical school.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
I know they are completely different fields but I was just wondering their differences in work hours, salary, and amount of commitment required for each.

Reactions: xqcx
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I know they are completely different fields but I was just wondering their differences in work hours, salary, and amount of commitment required for each.
Start with committing to go to medical school. That is a huge commitment in and of itself.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Alright seems like that's the general message. Who has a higher salary? I know I'm gonna get tons of hate mail for this but my curiosity is killing me. Both of you guys clicked cardiology over radiology also. Why?

Baller MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Alright seems like that's the general message. Who has a higher salary? I know I'm gonna get tons of hate mail for this but my curiosity is killing me. Both of you guys clicked cardiology over radiology also. Why?
Neither. Do OB/Gyn.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
I'll have to look into that but out of radiology and non-invasive cardiology who has a higher salary?

Roadhouse

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If this is what it takes for your "curiosity to be killing you" I feel bad for you.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Ya ya ya....Can someone just answer my question?

Dec 9, 2011
Status
Ya ya ya....Can someone just answer my question?
By the time you enter the market things will be different.

However, since the only deciding factor for you is the salaries, I answer your question. Geologists in south pole make more than both of these fields. So rather than wasting your time in med school, go to geology and move to south pole.

Dec 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Just call your local hospitals and say you're board certified in both and see what they offer you.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Ok thanks guys. I don't think I'll be moving to the South Pole anytime soon (despite how much people probably want me to) but I'm definitely going to try and get into the one with the highest salary whichever one that is...........Kidding..........Or am I?

RustBeltOnc

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
The Rust Belt
Status
Attending Physician
in the old days, both paid well with reasonable amount of physician autonomy. You will have less autonomy and less money. You won't touch seven digits but might clock in the mid six digits.

that is all anyone can tell you.

OP
B
Aug 30, 2015
Status
in the old days, both paid well with reasonable amount of physician autonomy. You will have less autonomy and less money. You won't touch seven digits but might clock in the mid six digits.

that is all anyone can tell you.
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!