radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you had to go to a "top" med school to get a decent residency in radiology or dermatology? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

thats an interesting set of choices, are you also interested in opthamology and anesthesiology :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gleevec
thats an interesting set of choices, are you also interested in opthamology and anesthesiology :rolleyes:

What's the problem man? Why the sarcastic response? Those are all good branches.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nah, I think anesthesiology's too much work and not enough pay for this dude. I'm thinking Plastic Surgery for him, with a fellowship at Beverly Hills Hospital.

No, you don't have to go to a "top" school. As with everything in life, do well in school, boards, and who you've slept with.

I dunno, apparently from match lists it does matter if you went to a top school if you want a top residency. Theres another thread going on about this in preallo as well.

I dunno, apparently from match lists it does matter if you went to a top school if you want a top residency. Theres another thread going on about this in preallo as well.

Yes, all things being equal outside of school. But what if the student got a 99/99 (which I hear is pretty plausible) on his boards and comes from a lower tier school? Are they going to ignore them? I think not.

Or you slept with the half the committee..

Originally posted by TTSD
Yes, all things being equal outside of school. But what if the student got a 99/99 (which I hear is pretty plausible) on his boards and comes from a lower tier school? Are they going to ignore them? I think not.

Or you slept with the half the committee..

accptance into a radiology residency still seems to be determined by your performance though...performance on boards or performance with half of the committe, I imagine that it is not good enough just to sleep with them...you would need to really "perform" as well...good luck and practice, practice, practice.

Originally posted by XT777
accptance into a radiology residency still seems to be determined by your performance though...performance on boards or performance with half of the committe, I imagine that it is not good enough just to sleep with them...you would need to really "perform" as well...good luck and practice, practice, practice.

And not just with one person either and multiple "patients." It helps having a wide base of knowledge, right? :-D

Do I really need a lot of communicating skills, EC's or a lot of those hassles in premed for all these specialties: radiology, opthalmology, anaesthesiology and dermatology.

Especially anaesthesiology, Mike Tyson always put anyone who doesn't know what he means to sleep quickly. So does an anaesthesiologist. Both are very well paid for a quickie. And the rest? I am wondering if I would really need to talk to patients that much? Has anyone actually seen these doctors in practice?

I have a feeling that eventually, it's only the numbers that count.

Yeah, the numbers count. 69 will get you in. :p

I beg to differ. How about 96, 88 or whatever.....? :D