radioloigst income and hour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medordent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I heard radiologist make 300k in Los Angeles. Is it true?
Also, Do radiologist work 60hr per week with incall? (ex. 2am in the morning incall) Also, do the 300k get deducted to 150k (50%) because of health insurance and tax? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answers to all of your questions are yes and no.

Hate to correct you, but you are so concrete...I would say it all depends...sometimes.

Hello. I heard radiologist make 300k in Los Angeles. Is it true?
Also, Do radiologist work 60hr per week with incall? (ex. 2am in the morning incall) Also, do the 300k get deducted to 150k (50%) because of health insurance and tax? Thank you!
I take it you didn't get the answers you wanted on the anesthesiology forum?

I understand being concerned about lifestyle issues, but you never know what you're going to fall in love with and what you're going to hate. If you're this concerned about salary and lifestyle and you think you would be happy as a dentist, go dental. It's just a safer bet.

Last edited:
I take it you didn't get the answers you wanted on the anesthesiology forum?

We are not afraid to answering tough questions in the anesthesia forum.

thanks Neuronix for ; "How to behave on an internet forum: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...internet-forum "

acorn-zombie-turnout-48670.jpg

These are Real salaries number as reported to the Government. Not Pie in the sky lies by recruiters on Gasworks about your salary after you are paid the imagery end of the year AMC bonus, or the lie of what you could make if you work for next to nothing for three to five year for the hope of making partner.

Private practice Real Salary data;

from; http://www.flcdatacenter.com/CaseH1B.aspx

"I-06221-2745401","Donald E. Wenner, M.D., F.A.C.S., P.C.","1600 S.E. Main, Suite F","","Roswell","NM","Anesthesiologist", $47.66,"Hour" (ie $95,320.00 per year)

"I-06150-2585311","Physicians Anesthesia of Sweetwater County","1200 College Drive","","Rock Springs","WY","Anesthesiologist"", $138481.00,"Year",

"I-06186-2674915","St. George Surgical Center, L.P.","676 SO. Bluff St.","","St. George","UT","Anesthesiologist", $150000.00,"Year",

"I-06188-2680611","Nashua Anesthesia Partners, PLLC","8 Prospect Street","","Nashua","NH","Anesthesiologist",$ 62.50,"Hour" "(ie $125,000.00 per year)

"I-05287-2081235","Coastal Plains Physician Associates","595 West Carolina Avenue","P. O. Box 988","Varnville","SC","Anesthesiologist", $140000.00,"Year",

Last edited:
I think he meant the original poster didn't like the numbers you gave them ;) ZOMG HOW CAN I LIVE ON 150K A YEAR?!

3119926626_c38353b27b.jpg

Just wait until we get Obama Care and you will wish you could land a good paying gig like the ones I listed above.

A she with Mr in their screenname. That's the first time I've seen that one! :)
It's in homage to my favorite Simpsons character (besides Groundskeeper Willie, but clearly that wouldn't fit). I made it so I could make fun of my boyfriend for actually posting on this site.

2,000 posts later, now I'm an asst mod... :confused:

It annoys me that so many people are attracted to radiology for the lifestyle. Ruins it for people like me who actually want to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
It annoys me that so many people are attracted to radiology for the lifestyle. Ruins it for people like me who actually want to work.

stop talking in absolutes for I will challenge you to a light saber duel. :laugh:

ThinkTooMuch said:
stop talking in absolutes for I will challenge you to a light saber duel. :laugh:

this forum, unfortunantly, is full of partisan hacks. you just gotta ignore it.

That's it, I'm getting out my own lightsaber.

Don't confuse a troll or two for the whole forum please. This is generally a pretty civil place to hang out imo.

For those of you who don't know, a troll is someone who uses the anonymity of the internet to get a rise out of people by posting deliberately inflammatory or strongly worded responses.

Remember, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Don't%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

Oh, and this post is in before (and thus negates) "What's a troll?" and "I'm not a troll, I just need to spread the word that Obama is ruining our country." I'm not an Obama fan, but this isn't the place for it.

That's it, I'm getting out my own lightsaber.

Don't confuse a troll or two for the whole forum please. This is generally a pretty civil place to hang out imo.

For those of you who don't know, a troll is someone who uses the anonymity of the internet to get a rise out of people by posting deliberately inflammatory or strongly worded responses.

Remember, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Don't%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

Oh, and this post is in before (and thus negates) "What's a troll?" and "I'm not a troll, I just need to spread the word that Obama is ruining our country." I'm not an Obama fan, but this isn't the place for it.

agreed.

TOTY material this early on? Who will challenge?

Hello. I heard radiologist make 300k in Los Angeles. Is it true? Thank you!

Median Salary by City - Job: Radiologist (United States)

Median-Salary-by-City---Job-Radiologist-United-States_USD_20090426094113-v1.0.jpg

Median Salary by City – Job: Radiologist

New York 100000
Portland 75000
Chicago 167000
Boston 165000
Los Angeles 175000
Houston 75000
Dallas 100000

Median Salary by City - Job: Radiologist (United States)

Median-Salary-by-City---Job-Radiologist-United-States_USD_20090426094113-v1.0.jpg

Median Salary by City – Job: Radiologist

New York 100000
Portland 75000
Chicago 167000
Boston 165000
Los Angeles 175000
Houston 75000
Dallas 100000

The only way I can see this being accurate is if they're including resident salaries.

The only way I can see this being accurate is if they're including resident salaries.

That salary study seems high look at this data;

those with more than five years of experience can expect rates as high as $30.97 an hour. ( 62,000 per year)

Texas, where the median annual salary for a radiologist is $48,696.

from; http://www.ehow.com/about_4690965_what-salary-range-radiology.html

The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly rate for a radiologist to start at about $14. Certain cities, like Orlando and Houston, pay in that range, as do entry-level positions for recent graduates. The hourly rate goes up as experience increases or depending on location. Radiologists in Ohio earns an average of $24.57 an hour, while those with more than five years of experience can expect rates as high as $30.97 an hour.
Geography

Radiologists' earnings vary significantly from one state to the next. Surprisingly, salaries for radiologists do not seem to correspond with the cost of living of a specific state. For example, in New York State, where medical professionals tend to have higher salaries, radiologists earn a median salary of $80,000 a year. Californian radiologists, on the other hand, earn an average of $204,257. The lower salaries are in some of the Southern states, such as Texas, where the median annual salary for a radiologist is $48,696.
Features

Most radiologists work in a hospital or clinical settings, often as a salaried employee but sometimes as a freelancer. Of all the work settings, hospitals pay the lowest salaries for radiologists, averaging $78,671. State and local government work opportunities and non-profit organizations come next, with median earnings of just over $85,000.

Read the rest of the article. That's a poorly written and reviewed article about Radiology Technicians being called Radiologists. You sure you're an attending?

To further quote the article:

"There are basically three ways to become a radiologist: complete a hospital training program (usually nine to 12 months), earn an Associate Degree in Radiology (two years) or complete a Bachelor's Degree in Radiologic Sciences (four years). The higher the degree, the more chances for advancement and the higher the salaries that can be earned, especially after experience becomes relevant. For example, graduates from a hospital program can expect to earn under $50,000, while those with a Bachelor's will more likely earn over $70,000."

That paragraph describes the training and typical salaries for a rad tech. They are absurdly low for a board certified MD Diagnostic or Interventional Radiologist. Your earlier data is also absurdly low for a board certified MD Radiologist as well, with perhaps the caveat that some of the higher numbers in that survey correspond to the lowest numbers I've heard. I wonder if it's a poor, scattered sampling of rad tech salaries, i.e. you have a couple of high end outliers in there skewing the data.

:laugh:

I was just doing as the OP was instructed. What the OP was told to do. Why is the discussion of salary not a valid topic? If there is such a broad range of salary data to be found on the Internet perhaps this is a valid topic, If you refuse to discuss it you could point the OP to a FAQ where there is a link to a salary survey that you think is valid.

Last edited:
Salary is a fair topic. I just find it amusing that, as an "attending", you couldn't recognize A) that those salary number were ridiculously low nor B) that the article you cited - their use of the word "radiologist" notwithstanding - referred to technicians. It was an honest mistake, I'm sure, but I still think it's humorous.

I think mcgreen's just trying to be funny.

Here's the actual data from the AAMC.

20090504221824.png

Last edited:
You sure you're an attending?

Agreed. McGreen is clueless as to how much rads make and probably what the job entails. However, his confusion between radiologists and rad techs is a common one. Most of the public does not even know that radiologists are physicians. We need better brand awareness. I know the ACR has been trying, but I don't know if it's gone anywhere.

These academic medicine salaries look oddly high.

Agreed. I've actually had the opportunity to check out what the academic docs at my hospital make and none of the diagnostic rads guys even come close. Some of the interventionalists approach those numbers but still don't quite get there.

Do what you want to do, people! Beyond a certain point, let the money be all about sh its and giggles.

What little bit I've seen is that if you put in a lot of clinical effort, with little research, at some academic institutions you can make those kinds of numbers. At one place I'm familiar with, the bonus is tied to RVUs, and that bonus can be a very large chunk of your salary. As soon as we start talking about significant amounts of research or other duties, unless you're a superstar who brings in multiple R01s or chair, those numbers go back to more like $200k (i.e. that bonus disappears).

The way productivity above all else is emphasized at some (many? most?) places, it always makes me wonder what "academics" means anyway. The answer is of course that it means a wide variety of things. It does very often provide large financial incentive for practicioners to not teach and not research, which makes me kind of sad. Of course the ultimate incentive is to run off to private practice, which even my MD/PhD counterparts from my group of Radiology labs before me have mostly done.

One of my former advisors was looking at a 80% research job at a premier institution, but declined because it paid in the low $100ks. Before anyone calls foul, that's what 80% research jobs pay in most specialties.

One of my former advisors was looking at a 80% research job at a premier institution, but declined because it paid in the low $100ks. Before anyone calls foul, that's what 80% research jobs pay in most specialties.

This is also what i've heard. It seems that those 80-20 jobs pay the same no matter the specialty, and the pay is very similar between MD/PhDs and PhDs, in other words, you're basically paid as a basic scientist (in the low 100s). I guess for someone who does IR in academics, even if doing lot of research, will get more than that just because procedures probably pay more.

What little bit I've seen is that if you put in a lot of clinical effort, with little research, at some academic institutions you can make those kinds of numbers. At one place I'm familiar with, the bonus is tied to RVUs, and that bonus can be a very large chunk of your salary. As soon as we start talking about significant amounts of research or other duties, unless you're a superstar who brings in multiple R01s or chair, those numbers go back to more like $200k (i.e. that bonus disappears).
Sorry for the ignorance, but what's an RVU?

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2009/03/relative-value-units-and-how-rvu.html

Better to have an outside site explain it... It's basically a standardized measure of how much money you have generated for your organization (i.e. you read a MRI of this organ, that's x # of RVUs which will be reimbursed x dollars). But, I'm not an expert in medical billing. Google it for more info.

I do know that increasingly your salary is being tied to RVUs. It's just a way of paying for performance. Within academics, it's a great way to make your faculty not want to do anything but clinical work. But, on the other hand if you don't pay higher salaries, it's very difficult to recruit any faculty. I was amazed to watch a section chief spot go unfilled for something like 5 years. Huh?! This pay versus academics issue is a hard balance that's somewhat unique to Radiology (and to subspecialty surgery mostly) given the high imbalance between academic and clinical salaries and the tremendous amount of pay that is lost when clinical work is not being done. Could you as a Rads faculty bring in enough grant money to make up for the revenue lost by you not reading films? Possibly, but you'd have to be a real superstar. This as opposed to many IM, pediatric, and psychiatric subspecialties (just as examples) where the hospital loses money for every patient seen and would thus love for faculty in those departments to bring in NIH grant money. That and the hospital is coming after the Rads department to bring in the revenue to keep the whole place afloat.

RVU is a way to track physician productivity. Ever task is given a RVU value. Then to see how productive physician is you just count how many RVUs they generate. This is commonly used to keep physicians form cherry picking the best insured patient and the most lucrative procedures. The RVU is blind to insurance so a case with an uninsured patient pays the same as one with good insurance. Depending on who assigns the RVUs a procedure can have more or less RVU than other similar procedure thus giving the physician an incentive to perform that procedure or to avoid it. Procedures that do not generate revenue but are important to the group or department can be assigned a RVU to make them equivalent to revenue generating procedures that take similar lengths of time.

Last edited:
RVU -- relative value unit. In an effort to standardize physician reimbursement, the resource based relative value unit system was created. This attempted to assign a value to every service provided based upon physician time, effort, risks involved, malpractice, etc.