Radon spas and Montana mines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old rad onc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in Italy for a vacation and went to Lurisia in Piemonte for a spa Terme . Was reading about it when I read about the hot springs had High amounts of Radon in the water. Learned that Marie Curie has visited in 1906 and was excited about the radiation. There are several places in Germany, Austria that also have high radon. I canceled my massage and was surprised this still is allowed.
To my surprise discovered there are old mines in Montana that are high in radon where people go for pain relief. I have been to termes before but never knew you could bathe in radioactive water. I also discovered they sell the water and that Coca Cola bought both the water company and the Terme!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Waiting for everyone to turn the above post into a rant on the job market...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Learned that Marie Curie has visited in 1906 and was excited about the radiation.
Neat stuff. Always like to point out to the (few) people who don't know that if our specialty has a parent, Marie Curie is it. The first person in human history to realize radiation could be used to treat cancer...

A new Marie Curie movie is coming out. Unlikely to be as good as the first.

Waiting for everyone to turn the above post into a rant on the job market...

so the field is basically sitting in hot water. We are being cooked slowly like crabs, lobster, frogs. We are also getting irradiated with the vapours of inaction and corruption. So from some’s perspectives all is well we are just doing great at the spa. Others say we are slowly dying!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Maybe @SneakyBooger can work with this into his/her burgeoning RT for osteoarthritis practice. Seems like it would be a similar effect.

Of course it might be placebo because sitting in hot springs is soothing (even without the Radon exposure).

Who's up for a RCT of pain relief from Radon hot springs vs regular hot springs?

Reactions: 1 users