RadOnc - Job Market in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Wyoming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brathmore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of my relatives live near Salt Lake City, so I'd love to be within a day's drive. Can anyone tell me what the job market for new radiation oncologists is in Utah (or Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Wyoming)? How hard is it to get a job in one of these locals? Does one have to settle for a ridiculously low salary to make it happen? (What are the starting salaries?)

If you've gone through the process of getting a job in one of these areas, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know from a recent co-resident who tried looking a couple of years ago, Utah is a tough market. You have a high-growth state but because of demographics/religion, it is mostly younger non-smoking families having kids. Not a great demographic to be moving to as a radiation oncologist (i.e. they're too healthy!).

My understanding is that at the University of Utah, they often got their best training experience in terms of H&N/Lung (smoking-related aerodigestive malignancies) through the VA there that filtered patients in from some of those other states you mentioned. I would imagine Montana, Idaho or Wyoming would have "underserved" areas that might be better for you.

Last edited:
Arizona is going to be your best bet, due to the demographics of the area. When I came out of residency 5 years ago I couldn't find a single job available in either Colorado or Utah. Idaho/Montana/Wyoming might work, but it's going to be a crapshoot, given the small number of radoncs needed for such a lightly-populated area.

:rolleyes: The op is asking the exact same question in the ophtho and emergency medicine forums.

Brathmore, my sincere advice to you is to find a specialty you enjoy and worry about the job market later. I'm assuming you're a third year, and you can't predict what will happen 6+ years from now. Cross posting the same message on multiple forums on SDN is not permitted, and I will close the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.