radonc spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcoke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you find out which programs are participating in the match this year and which programs will be out of the matchfor this year ?

Members don't see this ad.

GFunk,

Is the link you posted a final summation of programs accepting applications? All the schools outside of ERAS would be a "no"even though they very well may be accepting students this year outside of ERAS, I presume...?
Thanks,
Thinksnow

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, all I can say is that it is officially on ERAS and it jibes with other posters on this forum are saying (e.g. UNC is not acceping applicants this year). Other than that, you can only email or call the programs to know for sure.

Re: programs not participating in ERAS, I have no idea.

Thinksnow is correct. Programs that traditionally don't accept ERAS would be listed as "NO" although in essence they are accepting apps. University of Washington is, at least in my opinion, the best of such a lot and definately worth the extra effort of filling in their application. Beware of Northwestern, they are SHADY in how they dealth with ERAS last year. It doesn't surprise me that they are listed as not participating, although they may be taking apps. For the record, the definative voice is that of the program. Last year Mt Sinai was listed as having a space, letting you select it on ERAS. However, they actually didn't have a space and ERAS did not want to give a refund until I threatened them.

As far as non-ERAs programs, you have to ride those people to make sure your application is complete. There are lots of horror stories about files not being complete, thinks miss piled, etc. The bottom line... buyer beware and follow up on everything with such programs.

If this helps, I remember Kentucky an UT-San Antonio being non-ERAS last year. I do not know if they are accepting this year, so you would need to go to their website. Unfortunately, I recall some of the non-ERAS programs as having very bad websites with little information. May need to place a call.

user_name said:
If this helps, I remember Kentucky an UT-San Antonio being non-ERAS last year. I do not know if they are accepting this year, so you would need to go to their website. Unfortunately, I recall some of the non-ERAS programs as having very bad websites with little information. May need to place a call.

how do non-ERAS programs work? do they just hold separate interviews and start offering spots until they find someone who says I would rather committ here than take my chances on the match? seems to really complicate things for applicants.

ERAS and the match are separate. ERAS is like an electronic clearinghouse for your residency application. It uses a standardized app and forwards your board scores, transcript, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc. on to the programs where you have chosen to apply (for a substantial fee of course). Some programs want to have their own application and do not use the ERAS service. However, these places still can participate in the match, which is another institution (the NRMP) and another fee. These are the people who take your rank lists and the programs' rank lists and feed them into the computer that determines your fate for the upcoming years.

On the other hand, a program can accept applications through ERAS, then offer an applicant a contract "outside the match" and as you said that applicant can choose to commit to that program rather than go through the match. Going outside the match happens pretty infrequently as I think it hurts the reputation of programs who do it, and decreases the number of people who want to apply to them. I think it used to be somewhat more common; my sense during the whole process last year, however, is that going outside the match is now looked upon as a bit sketchy (I may be wrong).

Going outside the match is sketchy if a program registers for the match and then accepts an applicant without using the match service.

Programs that tell you upfront that they do not use the match are not being sketchy or underhanded, however, these programs tend to be considered the weaker ones who do not want to risk going unfilled.

If a program in the match wants you and you want that program, then you will match there. Therefore there is no reason that 'good' programs would forego the match, since many to most of the applicants would want to go there (i.e. top 5 on the applicant's list).

Ideally the match is supposed to benefit the program rather than the applicant, though there has been much debate about whether this is true.

radiaterMike said:
Going outside the match is sketchy if a program registers for the match and then accepts an applicant without using the match service.

Programs that tell you upfront that they do not use the match are not being sketchy or underhanded, however, these programs tend to be considered the weaker ones who do not want to risk going unfilled.

If a program in the match wants you and you want that program, then you will match there. Therefore there is no reason that 'good' programs would forego the match, since many to most of the applicants would want to go there (i.e. top 5 on the applicant's list).

Ideally the match is supposed to benefit the program rather than the applicant, though there has been much debate about whether this is true.
actually, no. The match does in fact favor the applicant. The algorhthym is such that if both Student A ranks a hosptial number one, but the hospital ranks student B number one and student A number two, if student B doesnt pick the hospital is number one student A gets the spot. In this way students are greatly favored.

As for going outside the match; I think its fair to say be wary but there are exceptions where good programs don't go through the match or sign outside the match, even very recently. Just keep your eyes open.

yes I agree- I mispoke (or mistyped!)

stephew said:
actually, no. The match does in fact favor the applicant. The algorhthym is such that if both Student A ranks a hosptial number one, but the hospital ranks student B number one and student A number two, if student B doesnt pick the hospital is number one student A gets the spot. In this way students are greatly favored.

if programs want ACGME funding they must participate in the match (rule started this past match). now, i know there are ways around it, but if i were an applicant, i wouldnt feel too comfortable taking a programs word that they will rank you #1.

radonc said:
if programs want ACGME funding they must participate in the match (rule started this past match). now, i know there are ways around it, but if i were an applicant, i wouldnt feel too comfortable taking a programs word that they will rank you #1.
a correct stance.