Hysty

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
hi
im an IMG..fromPakistan..and i really want to go to radiology...but i have heard its close to impossible to get into radiology for an IMG..but i am willing to put in every effort i can to get myself into it..
my step1 result is 244...and ill be giving my CS next month and then my step2..
please do tell me what shud i do to get into radiology if anybdy knows anything abt it...
if i have to do research then for how long ...how many publications...what are the minimum step scores to get into radiology?...do i stand any chance..
any help will be appreciated
thanks.

IMGIndia

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Hysty

I've looked at the usual books first "First Aid for the match", "The Successful IMG", and "Getting into a Residency".

All of the books are good, however, the successful img book mentioned things that were not common knowledge especially about how to get "American Style" letters of reference.

Aside from that, I think speaking to Residency directors Directly when you're in America for rotations is probably the best way to get advice.

That's what I did and it worked!

IMGINDIA

OP
H

Hysty

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
IMGIndia said:
Hysty

I've looked at the usual books first "First Aid for the match", "The Successful IMG", and "Getting into a Residency".

All of the books are good, however, the successful img book mentioned things that were not common knowledge especially about how to get "American Style" letters of reference.

Aside from that, I think speaking to Residency directors Directly when you're in America for rotations is probably the best way to get advice.

IMGINDIA
okie thanks a lot ...ill keep this in mind when ill go for my cs..!

OP
H

Hysty

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
IMGIndia said:
Hysty

IMGINDIA
so what program are u in at the moment...is it radiology?.....if it is what were ur scores..for how long u did ur research and whatelse do i need to do other than marrying an american citizen?:pP....
please HELP!
thanks

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
There is no magic formula - no minimum scores, length of research time etc. which will guarantee a radiology match for an FMG.

Besides the usual difficulties of getting into a US residency, you face the facts that radiology is extremely competitive at this point and presumably, you do not have US citizenship or PR.

You've done quite well on Step 1 - I would imagine your score meets any program's real or imagined requirements. Obviously doing well on Step 2 will only strengthen your application.

If you have the opportunity to do any US electives (it is not clear whether you are a student or have already graduated), that will give you the opportunity to work with US faculty and get US LORs.

At this point, the best thing you can do to strengthen your application would be to make some US connections which can help you in the match. Whether this is through research or rotations or even a Preliminary year in Medicine, does not really matter.

OP
H

Hysty

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Kimberli Cox said:
There is no magic formula - no minimum scores, length of research time etc. which will guarantee a radiology match for an FMG.

Besides the usual difficulties of getting into a US residency, you face the facts that radiology is extremely competitive at this point and presumably, you do not have US citizenship or PR.

You've done quite well on Step 1 - I would imagine your score meets any program's real or imagined requirements. Obviously doing well on Step 2 will only strengthen your application.

If you have the opportunity to do any US electives (it is not clear whether you are a student or have already graduated), that will give you the opportunity to work with US faculty and get US LORs.

At this point, the best thing you can do to strengthen your application would be to make some US connections which can help you in the match. Whether this is through research or rotations or even a Preliminary year in Medicine, does not really matter.
hi
thanks kimberli..i really appreciate ur suggestion...if anyonecan help me regarding how shud i apply for research ..thatll be GREAT
i am not a citizen just purely an IMG...but desperate to get into radiology.
thanks

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Hysty said:
hi
thanks kimberli..i really appreciate ur suggestion...if anyonecan help me regarding how shud i apply for research ..thatll be GREAT
i am not a citizen just purely an IMG...but desperate to get into radiology.
thanks
There are student opportunties for research listed at http://www.stoppagingme.com under the member section; you can find them by contacting individual programs or faculty at places you are interested in and check the AMSA site as well. There is no one listing for research jobs so you'll have to do some hunting around.

OP
H

Hysty

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Kimberli Cox said:
There are student opportunties for research listed at http://www.stoppagingme.com under the member section; you can find them by contacting individual programs or faculty at places you are interested in and check the AMSA site as well. There is no one listing for research jobs so you'll have to do some hunting around.

thnx once again..i see ur in PA(pensylvania i guess)..ill be in philadelphia in late march for my CS..so can u tell me any hospital where IMGs can be found so that i can go there personally and gather as much info as i can..
thnx.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Hysty said:
thnx once again..i see ur in PA(pensylvania i guess)..ill be in philadelphia in late march for my CS..so can u tell me any hospital where IMGs can be found so that i can go there personally and gather as much info as i can..
thnx.
Unfortunately, Pennsylvania is a big state, and I'm not familiar enough with the Philadelphia programs (its a couple hours away) to tell you which ones have FMGs and which do not. Perhaps if you looked at the program's websites you might find some listings of residents and their origin.