Rads vs. Psych (yeah, another one of these)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wrong attachment. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad.

In 2016 Radiologists averaged $375k. Psychiatrists averaged $226k.

It kills me when people pull out exceptions to the rule and try to say that the rule therefor is not valid.

As a current rads resident who knows many practicing psychiatrists I gotta say that most people significantly underestimate potential income of psychiatrists.

Psych has way more women and laid back folks that prefer part time work and the average Psych doc works less than 40 hrs a week. Rads is much higher. The pace of work is also different.

Some state and county jobs have pretty solid compensation for a 9-80 (80 hrs in 9 days, i.e. alternating three day weekends) with No call, weekends, or night work required. 30 min med checks too. Base pay around 250-275 plus more if you cover weekends.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to agree with above. The average work week for a good chunk of psychiatrists are 40 hours, which is why you have those lower numbers on medscape and MGMA.

Members don't see this ad :)
My workweek is 36 hours a week. (63 hours over 7 days, 7 days off)

There is just no possible way you can realistically say the salaries are anywhere close to each other. If you go into pysch, you will average at least $100k less a year, Over a lifetime that is $2.5-$3 million less.

Reactions: 2 users
Not arguing the point that radiology doesn't have a higher ceiling, it definitely does. Just the point that only the exceptions can earn 300k in psychiatry, this part is not true. It is just that psychiatrists overall work less than most physicians and would have a higher salary if they worked more.

Many inpatient psych jobs have flexible hours, making it easier for psychiatrists to have side gigs than some other specialties. In addition, it is a lot cheaper to start a psychiatry private practice than for most other specialties, and this can be done on a part-time basis. Due to the high overhead, it would be very difficult for a Family doc to open up his own private practice while working at another job. A psychiatrist can start a part-time private practice while working another full-time job. Although I wouldn't do this, some psychiatrists have an office in their house.

The two fields are very different. One you talk almost constantly and really need to be persuasive and and a skilled communicator. The other you need to be more tech and not like to talk and enjoy being by self in a dark room. Rads will make more money. Psych can make more than what is listed in most surveys. Many work around 40hr/wk. Push it to 60hr/wk and the pay can jump into 300'sK fairly easy. Plus, salaries have been rising as of recent in Psych. I agree with what others have said. I have always been into Psych so there was no choice for me when it came time for specialty. But, I really appreciate the specialties flexibility. Plenty of chances for PT work, variety, and low overhead to start a private practice. Telepsych is also growing very fast and is another way to make good money from home. I would never have my office at my home. I hope my patients don't even remember my name and pray they never know where I live for the most part. I wish I could only give them my first name like nursing.

Reactions: 1 users
There two field couldn't be more opposite. Of the few things that I can think of that makes rads very different from psych are: technology, objectivity, high volume, fast pace, lack of continuity, minimal pt interactions, definitive diagnosis...

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah...I am kind of in the same boat. I like talking to people a lot but on my radiology rotation there was lots of interaction with staff, other attendings, residents, students, ordering physicians and surgeons, etc. Definitely not that isolating.

Its funny how students can feel this way, including me. For some reason I think I could be happy doing both.