Medical RAFFLE ITEM: The Medical School Admissions Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdadmit

Admissions Expert
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

MDadmit is proud to be donating the new edition of Dr. Suzanne M. Miller's best-selling Medical School Admissions Guide: A Harvard MD's Week-by-Week Admissions Handbook, 3rd Ed.

The raffle winner will receive one copy of The Medical School Admissions Guide.

The raffle winner will be drawn by SDN from among the members who post an answer to this question:
If you could have one book/product/service to help you with getting into medical school/applying to medical school, what would it be?

Up to 500 SDN members can enter the drawing
Shipping is limited to domestic US addresses.

As one of the best-selling of Amazon's "medical school guides," The Medical School Admissions Guide is a must-have for anyone applying to medical school, whether you are a traditional or non-traditional pre-med.

The Medical School Admissions Guide Description:
This guide contains the weekly, step-by-step plan Dr. Miller used to get into Harvard Medical School. She has since utilized the strategy to help hundreds of applicants gain entry into medical school first as a Harvard pre-med tutor and then as CEO of MDadmit, a medical school admissions consulting service. Following this handbook's advice will provide you a distinct advantage in the competitive medical school admissions process as it prepares you for every step and helps create your best application.

Book Highlights include:
1. Weekly, easy-to-follow advice on navigating the complex admissions process.
2. Multiple examples of successful personal statements, AMCAS and TMDSAS work/activities, secondary essays, and letter of intent/update letters.
3. Special sections on reapplicants, non-traditional applicants, DO schools, foreign schools, and military/public health service options.
4. Updated to include advice on MCAT2015.

Feel free to post any questions you have about The Medical School Admissions Guide or MDadmit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will this book be helpful for non-traditional students?

Members don't see this ad :)
This book looks great! Do you feel your time and experience at such an elite school will apply to applicants who are considering mid-tier state schools?

This book looks great! Do you feel your time and experience at such an elite school will apply to applicants who are considering mid-tier state schools?
Thanks for your question, Sabio 23. Fortunately, the vast majority of medical school admissions advice applies to ALL US schools, whether top 20 private, mid-tier, or state school. This is because all schools are looking for the same thing - a well-rounded, intelligent, analytic, compassionate individual who understands what medicine is all about and has the characteristics to be an excellent physician. The Medical School Admissions Guide will help you get into any US school.

Is this book different from your "get into medical school with a low GPA" book? Can they be used together or is one better for certain students than others?

I wonder will your book help us to identify which schools each applicants fit in best?

Is this book different from your "get into medical school with a low GPA" book? Can they be used together or is one better for certain students than others?
The Medical School Admissions Guide is very different from How to Get Into Medical School with a Low GPA. The Medical School Admissions Guide provides week-by-week guidance on exactly what you need to do to fill out the medical school application and maximize your chances of admission. This is a print book worth having with you every day of the application process and is meant for all pre-meds. How to Get Into Medical School with a Low GPA is an e-book geared specifically to those with a low GPA. It offers specific advice and examples of how to overcome a low GPA and get into medical school.

Sounds like a great resource, especially for students without access to a knowledgeable pre-med advisor. A relatively mundane question, but I'm wondering what's the range of dates covered by the weekly guide? Does it cover the Spring before the application cycle as well as time upto matriculation? Do you include advice about fitting in the MCAT during the process? Thanks!

Sounds like a great resource, especially for students without access to a knowledgeable pre-med advisor. A relatively mundane question, but I'm wondering what's the range of dates covered by the weekly guide? Does it cover the Spring before the application cycle as well as time upto matriculation? Do you include advice about fitting in the MCAT during the process? Thanks!
Thanks for the question!

The Medical School Admissions Guide covers from January prior to application through May 15. MCAT scheduling is certainly covered. As are finances, recommendation selection, MCAT preparation, AMCAS work/activities, AMCAS personal statement, secondaries, interview preparation, post-interview/wailist strategy including letter of intent/update letters, and deferment. Further, specific examples form successful pre-meds are included on the topics of AMCAS work/activities, personal statements, secondaries, and letter of intent/update letters.

how different is the content of the new edition from the 1st edition- is there a signifcant amount of new or updated content or are they essentially the same?

Will this book help us if we already have the MSAR? I feel like there is a lot of info. there already...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this book include any information about Canadian medical school admissions?

I'm slightly confused…is this different from AMCAS's medical school admission guide…I thought there was already something similar?

What is MDadmit's strategy for helping reapps gain a successful app cycle? Because most of us don't even know where to begin or what to change in our applications =/

Any discounts for financial-need based students?

Do you work individually with every student enrolled in your consulting services? or does your company have other advisors as well?

Does the book include info about LORs - who to ask? how to ask? etc. and/or navigating AMCAS + TMDSAS + DO application service?

Do you work individually with every student enrolled in your consulting services? or does your company have other advisors as well?
Thanks for your post. I help every client INDIVIDUALLY. This is why I refer to myself as boutique. I answer all e-mails, run all consulting sessions and mock interviews, and edit every essay.

Does the book include info about LORs - who to ask? how to ask? etc. and/or navigating AMCAS + TMDSAS + DO application service?
There is an entire section on who, how, and when to ask for LORs. The books focuses mostly on AMCAS application. Fortunately, the themes relayed can be used transferred to TMDSAS and DO applications, as well. There are appendices dedicated to the other application services.

Hey, I read the reviews on this book on Amazon and they are amazing! So congrats on that.

What do you think are the most common areas where students make mistakes in regards to their application. Also, I am taking a gap year to make my application more competitive. What is one thing that I can always have more off. Research or shadowing?

Hey, I read the reviews on this book on Amazon and they are amazing! So congrats on that.

What do you think are the most common areas where students make mistakes in regards to their application. Also, I am taking a gap year to make my application more competitive. What is one thing that I can always have more off. Research or shadowing?
Most common mistake - not clearly expressing motivation for entering medicine in the personal statement
One thing you can never have too much of - clinical experience. That doesn't have to be shadowing - could do scribing, clinical research, work in a doctor's office, volunteer at hospital/clinic/hospice/nursing home, etc.

Reactions: 1 user