Mar 31, 2012
Status
Ok, so here is the quick story.... Like a lot of students I had a very "rough" freshman year GPA-wise (which I know is not something new) and even though I raised my grades during my sophomore year, my cumulative GPA is still 3.007. Now let's say that I get 3.7+ GPA during both semester of my junior year I'd still have somewhere around a 3.35 GPA in my transcript. Would that still not make enough of an impression seeing as there IS an upward trend or would it be the same as a person who had a consistent 3.4 GPA? OR is that kind of thing not even looked at during the application/screening process?? :confused:

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, so here is the quick story.... Like a lot of students I had a very "rough" freshman year GPA-wise (which I know is not something new) and even though I raised my grades during my sophomore year, my cumulative GPA is still 3.007. Now let's say that I get 3.7+ GPA during both semester of my junior year I'd still have somewhere around a 3.35 GPA in my transcript. Would that still not make enough of an impression seeing as there IS an upward trend or would it be the same as a person who had a consistent 3.4 GPA? OR is that kind of thing not even looked at during the application/screening process?? :confused:
A 3.35 will get your app past many/most auto screens, so someone will look at it instead of the computer throwing it out. At that point, the fact that you have a very high year prior to applying will be taken into account. Your app will be viewed more favorably than a person with a straight 3.35 every semester, as you have demonstrated you can consistently perform at the 3.7-4.0 level, while the other person hasn't demonstrated that. You will still be behind most other applicants, as the average matriculate GPA is 3.67, meaning you have a lot to overcome with the other parts of your application. What would your cGPA and sGPA be if you applied after your senior year, and got all A's from now until then? A gap year may be in order if you are at a 3.0 after two years.

Apply to DO schools with a strong MCAT and a 3.35 and you will likely have more success than you would applying to MD schools. What state you are a resident in has a lot to do with how successful you might be and what the best course of action is as well.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
NorCal --> Flyover Country
Status
Medical Student
Trend definitely matters but overall GPA is still more important.

With a 3.35 GPA, your MCAT score will dictate where you should apply and what you should do next. Take that and get back to us.

About the Ads
Mar 31, 2012
Status
I haven't calculated GPAs for grades after a fourth/senior year of my undergraduate program, but I am currently a Florida resident which I've heard is a good state for residency if one is applying to medical school although I am not sure if that is true or not... Also, my school's pre-medical program is known to be particularly tough and they like to "weed-out" a large amount of their students. Would this help in getting into schools of the same state? especially if it's the medical school of the university that I am currently attending?

bdmcmichael

Feb 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It's really weird that you posted this. I was in the exact same position after my sophomore year, except my gpa was 3.006 haha so I understand the sistuation. I just got done with my junior year and I was able to get a 3.64 across both semesters. I'm banking on the hope that schools will recognize the improvement, and I'm also banking on the hope that I destroy the MCAT next thursday (yikes). Anyway I just wanted to encourage you...we can do this!

Flamen04

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
Status
I haven't calculated GPAs for grades after a fourth/senior year of my undergraduate program, but I am currently a Florida resident which I've heard is a good state for residency if one is applying to medical school although I am not sure if that is true or not... Also, my school's pre-medical program is known to be particularly tough and they like to "weed-out" a large amount of their students. Would this help in getting into schools of the same state? especially if it's the medical school of the university that I am currently attending?
What school in Florida?

Apr 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
If you really get your behind in shape right now, and you can get mainly As and only the smallest amount of Bs, they will see this upward trend, yes. But, you need to really decide right now if this is going to be something you can keep up with. If you continue on the track you are right now, it's not looking good. You're going to need to work very hard to redeem yourself. I'm sort of in the same situation here, so good luck!

May 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone!

So I am a new member of SDN network and I have been reading articles and many post responses for the past couple of months and it has helped tremendously, my only thing is I needed help on a few things/questions with others.

FIRST: I am about to be a sophomore coming this fall.
Major: Sports Medicine w/ minor in Organizational Leadership(Management)

My freshman fall GPA was a 2.27,

(I know horrendous, but it made me pick up my head quickly). I had 2 C's in Psychology and Business Calc

My freshman Spring GPA was a 3.47.

My cGPA right now is a: 2.86 and I am taking sumer courses so it will raise it to a

QUESTION: with the two C's i received should I retake them, and if so, could i take them at a comm. college since i really do not have alot of space in my schedule for the rest of my years or would it look like I took the easy route just to retake them?
and I realize it isnt the end of the world and i have so much time to raise them i just wanted to know if it is smart to retake them and what will colleges think? and i know for a fact no more C's and hopefully B's.
:confused:

sc4s2cg

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't want to create a new thread, but what if you have a GPA like this for MD and DO?

It decreases until I quit Nursing 3 semesters ago, then it increased to 3.7/4.0/4.0.

God Complex
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
The Slab
Status
Medical Student
I don't want to create a new thread, but what if you have a GPA like this for MD and DO?

It decreases until I quit Nursing 3 semesters ago, then it increased to 3.7/4.0/4.0.

well what is your cum and sgpa? Or is it currently 3.3-3.4 area?

Stay in school taking classes until you're over 3.5/3.5

sc4s2cg

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
well what is your cum and sgpa? Or is it currently 3.3-3.4 area?

Stay in school taking classes until you're over 3.5/3.5
Right now cum is:

MD cGPA: 3.40
MD sGPA: 3.49

DO cGPA: 3.55
DO sGPA: 3.67

I am taking 7 credit hours over the summer and am graduating in August.

May 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay well lets say I wanted to retake my classes I gotta C in at a satellite college at home. Would they think of it as taking the easy route?

About the Ads