C

Chankovsky

Growing up, I was always taught to not raise my voice and speak in a politically correct manner. However, I feel like being shy and quiet is hindering me from becoming more a more assertive leader, something that's needed in the medical profession. Anybody out there with similar experience? Especially those grown up in a conservative asian family. Do you guys think I should change my personality a bit to be better suited for my future profession.

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Status (Visible)
you don't have to change your personality, you just need to change your HABIT of keeping your personality to yourself.

Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Status (Visible)
I am much like yourself. I try to please everyone and not step on anyone's toes. A little on the quiet side, but outgoing and loquacious in certain situations. In college, I took a leap and took on a very large and demanding leadership role. I was concerned about how the position would change me or how I needed to change to be successful in it. I found that it is in fact possible to balance your own personality and the assertiveness needed to be successful in any given role. You will never be entirely comfortable if you try to change your own personality to accomodate anyone or anything else, but you can develop additional qualities that will strengthen that personality as well as your ability to take on certain situations. Although it may be a challenge, and take more energy and effort than most, I think you can learn to be more comfortable with being an assertive decision maker without losing your appeasing and politically correct ways. Stepping out of your comfort zone a little bit will force you to adapt to situations that call for you to be more assertive and develop a leadership style that is best suited for you.

About the Ads

Integra96

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
Nothing wrong with being nice and polite, but sometimes you just have to lay smizzack down. :D

Really, if someone needs to be jolted into listening to you, raise your damn voice. I used to be more shy than I should have been, but just life experience will turn most of us into more capable, assertive beings.

And, please, never appease people - unless it's something minor. That has to be one the most destructive behaviors I can think of.

PhillyEaglesFan

Little Yellow Schoolbus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
PA
Status (Visible)
Been my experience that quiet people usually have something meaningful to say when they speak up.

Also been my experience that quiet folks can lay a really good smackdown when they have to.

I think you will be fine.

twinklz

Lover of Lagomorphs
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
North Carolina
Status (Visible)
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt

I learned that quotation in 7th grade and the entire class decided it fit me. I've had several leadership roles; from what I've noticed, people tend to listen to me more because I cut to the chase. Just make sure you stand up for yourself and what you want to say. Far too many people waste precious oxygen with their babble.

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Chankovsky
Growing up, I was always taught to not raise my voice and speak in a politically correct manner. However, I feel like being shy and quiet is hindering me from becoming more a more assertive leader, something that's needed in the medical profession. Anybody out there with similar experience? Especially those grown up in a conservative asian family. Do you guys think I should change my personality a bit to be better suited for my future profession.

as long as you stick to your guns (well at least when youre convictions are strong; there is a strong line between being assertive and being stubborn and foolish), it is better to remain the way that you are. it is quite a plus to remain calm in situations where your emotions are raging inside because it keeps your head cool and it shows others that you are in control of the situation. or at least they have more confidence that you will take care of the situation.

leavesam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Chankovsky

I totally know what you mean. I've been concerned with this issue especially during the whole application process when I have to decide on how to present myself. I think my Vietnamese upbringing definitely has affected my lack of assertiveness. When I do try to be more assertive, I always feel out of character.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.