Raleigh, NC Small Animal Clinic Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foibles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heading into my "off" summer between 3rd & 4th years, and am looking for a small animal clinic to extern with for 2-4 weeks in the Raleigh, NC area.

There aren't many places in Raleigh that are already approved through my school, so I've been looking online at various hospitals to try and pick out which ones might be a best fit. Unfortunately, that has quickly become overwhelming.

Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations? I'm aiming for a general practice clinic (not NCSU or specialty) and it would be awesome (but not necessary) if they have multiple Doctors (more to learn from & less stress on the clinic to have me there) and/or emphasis on fear free veterinary medicine.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm heading into my "off" summer between 3rd & 4th years, and am looking for a small animal clinic to extern with for 2-4 weeks in the Raleigh, NC area.

There aren't many places in Raleigh that are already approved through my school, so I've been looking online at various hospitals to try and pick out which ones might be a best fit. Unfortunately, that has quickly become overwhelming.

Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations? I'm aiming for a general practice clinic (not NCSU or specialty) and it would be awesome (but not necessary) if they have multiple Doctors (more to learn from & less stress on the clinic to have me there) and/or emphasis on fear free veterinary medicine.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
i know you said you were looking for GP and not specialty, but i know a few people who externed at VSH in Cary on ER and had awesome experiences. they were really involved, sometimes got to do parts of procedures, and generally felt like it was well worth their time. maybe something to look into if you dont find a good GP fit

Check into some of the CareFirst locations! They're progressive practices with some pretty amazing vets who stay connected to the school and help with labs pretty regularly. Also, if you're still curious, try contacting our student services office and they should be able to help!

I've heard great things about hanging out at Bowman Animal Hospital.

The CareFirst location I'm most familiar with sees a lot of caseload and is super fun in just pure variety (especially surgery!), but doesn't fit your bill for a fear-free practice.