Rambling/flashy vs concise/down-to-earth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted877060

Which kind of writing style on med school apps is preferred by adcoms?

The former can be annoying to read, but easier to impress. The latter would sound more modest, but could be difficult to stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished reading some of the most flowery, "plethora-ridden" overwrought applications in a long time. Give me honest writing in your own voice any day.
No one is impressed with thesaurus vomit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rambling/flashy vs concise/down-to-earth
which kind of writing style on med school apps is preferred by adcoms?

The former can be annoying to read, but easier to impress. The latter would sound more modest, but could be difficult to stand out.
Rambling and flashy doesn't not impress adcomms. Why would you want to stand out in a bad way?

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished reading some of the most flowery, "plethora-ridden" overwrought applications in a long time. Give me honest writing in your own voice any day.
No one is impressed with thesaurus vomit!

I used a thesaurus a lot while writing :p

I think I did a decent job of it though as I mainly used it when I was trying to think of a word and couldn't quite grasp one that fit properly.

Rambling and flashy doesn't not impress adcomms. Why would you want to stand out in a bad way?
If everybody uses a matter-of-fact voice in their writing wouldn't all apps just blend in together?
"I did this... I learned this..." etc

Concise. Always concise.

Reactions: 1 user
If everybody uses a matter-of-fact voice in their writing wouldn't all apps just blend in together?
"I did this... I learned this..." etc

Know your audience. If you're applying to be a journalist then show off your writing skills. You're applying to be a doctor and the people reading your applications are doctors. Doctors are busy and are trained to be efficient and succinct. The essence of the personal statement is to convey your interest for medicine in a personal and genuine manner. Even if it's written in a matter of fact manner, something earnest can be recognized. If I wanted to be swept off my feet by the written word I'd read an actual book not some premeds personal statement. There're very few things you can say that an adcom doing this for many years has not heard before.

Reactions: 3 users
Think, what kind of communication would be most valuable to a future doctor.

Knowing your audience and writing with that in mind is about as basic as writing can get.

Reactions: 1 user
Excellent feedback. OP, I think you know what to do. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The goal actually is to be coherent, concise and compelling while answering the question asked with specific and concrete examples from your background.

Common mistakes
1) not analyzing and breaking down the question to understand it fully and seeing the difference with similarly worded questions
2) not answering the question asked
3) answering with “lofty” prose and not specific and concrete examples from your record
4) not having coherence as in a “theme” for the paragraph or essay. This often is applicants not noting the concept or characteristics they are trying to emphasis from their activities or background
5) unclear writing. Confusing sentence structure, too many descriptors, just plain lousy. The shorter the essay, the tighter the sentence structure needs to be. You need to edit sentence by sentence:
6) poor editing and proof reading. It takes about 4-6 drafts/proofs to have a highly polished product.

Very true. I've noticed the shorter the character count, the better my essays are. Usually because I write too much and am forced to cut out all the crap.