Random Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoody

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to post in the official 09-10 App thread as I am not applying this cycle but just have a few general questions that have probably already been answered 100+ times before (so my apologies now)....

1. How does it work when Pathophysiology on my transcripts is listed as a PHCY (Pharmacy) class? Do I need to do anything special to make sure that this grade counts? Keep in mind I am trying to do everything as early as possible so that I can have my app verified ASAP as most everyone says the earlier, the better.

2. How many people used all 15 slots Work/Activities (EC) section? I am wondering if I should combine some activities like being ACLS/PALS certified as well as a BLS Instructor. Another example would be condensing my nursing certifications into one. Instead of making two slots, one for each certification, I'd just use one slot and say, I am certified in this, as well as this. I wouldn't be using all 15 slots (at least at this time) if I did this, so I'm wondering if I should have 15 little pieces, of like 10, like subjects combined, detailed pieces. (hope that makes any sense )

3. Does anyone submit a formal resume? Or is that just essentially duplicating the AMCAS app..

4. I'll keep posting as I keep thinking cause :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

1. There is a way to petition to have AMCAS classify a course differently. I never did it so I can't give details.

2. Plenty of people don't go up to 15, I had 10ish. It's better to not put filler if you don't have anything meaningful to fill the remaining slots.

3. No resume needed. Just the AMCAS app followed by seconday apps from the individual schools.

1. There is a way to petition to have AMCAS classify a course differently. I never did it so I can't give details.

2. Plenty of people don't go up to 15, I had 10ish. It's better to not put filler if you don't have anything meaningful to fill the remaining slots.

3. No resume needed. Just the AMCAS app followed by secondary apps from the individual schools.

Thanks!

One more (probably ridiculous and redundant again) question....what's that little number after the MCAT score represent? I see people with P, Q, R, S and I think J....

AND, I hope I'm not the only that doesn't have a tragic/amazing story/revelation as why they want to be a doctor. Nothing special here, just already spending 50hrs a week in the hospital already and as long as I'm here, time would be better spent/more gratifying doing more skilled procedures, etc. :sleep:

One more (probably ridiculous and redundant again) question....what's that little number after the MCAT score represent? I see people with P, Q, R, S and I think J....

That's the writing section score it goes from J(lowest) to T(highest). I hear the Canadian schools look at it, but US schools don't give it much weight.

AND, I hope I'm not the only that doesn't have a tragic/amazing story/revelation as why they want to be a doctor. Nothing special here, just already spending 50hrs a week in the hospital already and as long as I'm here, time would be better spent/more gratifying doing more skilled procedures, etc. :sleep:
Don't worry, plenty of us do fine without any family tragedy or overseas antics ect. on our personal statements.