MD & DO random misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherwannaBdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was out hog hunting (no season, no limit) this weekend along a river in southern NC part of the river is private land and part is public land. Anyways I was crossing back and forth and ended up getting stopped by a wildlife officer and charged with hunting without the proper license, I had my hunting license but not my gameland license which is required when on public land, I was on the border they had to pull up GPS to verify I wasn't on private land anymore. Turns out its a class 3 misdemeanor (lowest class). I have to go to court in March, the officer told me that if I buy the license ($15) and show up to court with it and it will most likely be dismissed depending on how the DA is feeling. I have no acceptances but I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools, should I let them know proactively or just wait until after march when I find out if this is staying on my record or not. I had a clean record up until now I can't believe I have to worry about something stupid like this.

Moral of the story don't be a cheap bastard Uncle Sam will get his due one way or another

Members don't see this ad.

So I was out hog hunting (no season, no limit) this weekend along a river in southern NC part of the river is private land and part is public land. Anyways I was crossing back and forth and ended up getting stopped by a wildlife officer and charged with hunting without the proper license, I had my hunting license but not my gameland license which is required when on public land, I was on the border they had to pull up GPS to verify I wasn't on private land anymore. Turns out its a class 3 misdemeanor (lowest class). I have to go to court in March, the officer told me that if I buy the license ($15) and show up to court with it and it will most likely be dismissed depending on how the DA is feeling. I have no acceptances but I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools, should I let them know proactively or just wait until after march when I find out if this is staying on my record or not. I had a clean record up until now I can't believe I have to worry about something stupid like this.

Moral of the story don't be a cheap bastard Uncle Sam will get his due one way or another

I wouldn't be proactive about it now. Not the most up to date on medical school admissions, but sometime after you're accepted you go through Certiphi Background Check where they'll find everything out. I believe there is somewhere on that form (that you receive after the acceptance) where you can voluntarily offer up that with an explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
You haven't been convicted of anything, so there's nothing to update them about. If you're convicted, you'll have to update them, but they'll LOL at this particular incident.

The more generalizable lesson is that actions have consequences. In your case, I doubt they'll be significant.

Reactions: 6 users