Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXVII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'sup!

I didn't see a new one started so I took the initiative....

Members don't see this ad.

Man, just got home and was going to start reviewing the next chapter of physics when I realized I have to go volunteer in half an hour! CRAP, I totally forgot that I was scheduled today! There goes 2 hours!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap! OK, I drove down to the shelter to go volunteer, only to find out that I was NOT scheduled today. So I'm driving back, and I'm passing through this area with a lot of restaurants, and a bunch of cars are parked at an angle on my side of the road. All of sudden this crazy woman DASHES out from between the parked cars and starts sprinting to the other side of the road!:eek: I hit the brakes and came to a stop within inches of her....turns out she was running towards her stupid boyfriend and baby on the other side of the road. Didn't even look when she took off! Anyway, her boyfriend started screaming at her, the baby, of course, started screaming too, she started crying and thanking me profusely...I was like, no crap, you *****! I'm glad I was paying attention - had I ever glanced to the side, she would've been rolling over my hood! What is it with people here!? Didn't your mama teach you to look before crossing the road, ESPECIALLY when you are not using an actual pedestrian crossing!?

*shudder*

Members don't see this ad :)
Morning guys! Still getting used to the early days, but I'm relaxed and settled in my classes now. Ready for those MCAT scores.. Grrr.

In other news, the docs I shadowed got their LOR packets today! :thumbup: 2 more letters to go!

500: Chariots of Fire
1000: Eye of the Tiger
2000: Overture of 1812 (with emphasis on cannons)
3000: Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto
4000: Livin' on a Prayer
5000: 5,000 Miles
7500: Another One Bites the Dust
10K: We Will Rock You
15K: William Tell Overture
20K: Celebration
30K: We Are the Champions

Got to "interview" my first patient today and bust out the white coat on the wards. :cool:
whoa, nice.

we had our second standardized patient today to practice some of those crazy acronyms that they want us to learn to remember to ask about psychosocial issues.

Physics is draining the last spark of life from me. I've solved 55 problems today so far, with 11 more to go, and did 54 yesterday....99 physics probs in 48 hours = very tired Jochi. I'm gonna go boxing in a bit, they're gonna give me crap about not coming in on Monday (I was camping).

Hi folks!!

How are you all doing? Not too much is new here.

Any stories from the new M1s? :)

No exciting stories. Just taking a break right now from my hours of endless studying.

We learned about interviewing today. Open ended questions = good. Closed ended questions = bad.

First biochem quiz is tomorrow. :eek:

Physics is draining the last spark of life from me. I've solved 55 problems today so far, with 11 more to go, and did 54 yesterday....99 physics probs in 48 hours = very tired Jochi. I'm gonna go boxing in a bit, they're gonna give me crap about not coming in on Monday (I was camping).

God, my physics prof is so freaking easy... I hate this for u.. u should be in my class.. :laugh:

An hour of homework then it's off to bed. Glad tomorrow is the last real week day. I love Fridays... great catchup/get ahead day. Praise God for no MCAT studying! (but oh I wish those scores were back and good...)

kay, My husband is not using his better judgment tonight. We have a severe thunderstorm warning and it's set to hit us in about 20 minutes. I can already hear the thunder.

He's 3 towns over for "bike night" where he and some friends wrench on motorcycles and he rode his over. Annnnd, he's not home yet, despite the fact I called him 45 minutes ago and warned him bad weather was on its way.

Edit: He just got home. Talk about cutting it close.

We learned about interviewing today. Open ended questions = good. Closed ended questions = bad.

Also important for all y'all out there who aren't used to this:

"Why did you do that" = defensive answer

"How did that happen" or "What went into making that decision" = less defensive answer

Step away from the "why?"s!!

"How did that happen" or "What went into making that decision" = less defensive answer

Ooh, good to know! We weren't told that. Maybe I'll bring it up in our small groups on Monday. :)

And can you tell my 4 year old this? Recently her response to anything I tell her is "Why?" (in a very whiny voice).

My personal favorite?

"What brings you into clinic today"
A: "The bus." :laugh:

Also, "do you smoke?"
A: "No"
Q: "Have you ever been a smoker?"
A: "Yes"
Q: "When did you quit?"
A: "This morning" :lol:

I would also like to add that it's important to write the patient's initial complaints verbatim and then write your interpretation of their complaint.

At least it is in my field. For example: A mother is concerned that her child "ain't talkin' too good" True story.

There are other scenarios where the air of the assessment feels urgent, but the parents are either not too concerned or just want to know where there kid is re: skills.

On a darker note, one h/p last month led me to a DCFS referral from too many things that didn't mesh related to a little deaf boy who was almost 3 and his parent's denial of him being deaf.

I'm sure pingouin has had to make reports based on abuse and neglect too.

Done with classes for the week.. woohoo. Now it's homework-catchup-get ahead time. Two and a half more hours at work, bank, scrub score (for a lab coat), and home. Possibly a nap is in the works before homework.. :laugh:
How's everyone else making it today?

Oh man, WTFFFFF! I just went to the post office to send away the forms for my Canada student loans, and the lady's like, "did you see, they are sending the entire amount to your educational institution, so you don't need to send any forms to them?" I was like, WHAT!? It's all great, but I'm getting like $400 more in student loans than I owe in tuition to the school!

So I e-mailed my ***** advisor (the same one who gave me crap for registering in a full courseload because I apparently "can't handle it" :rolleyes:). You know what her response is via e-mail? "CALL ME @...." So what now, should I call and be like, "E-mail me @..."? Seriously, if you can type "call me," you can type 2 lines telling me how to get my $ back out of your stupid school. And then of course I call her and she's not there! CLASSIC, considering I'm planning to leave for the US this Sunday or Monday and will be gone for at least a week, so I need to deal with this BS before I head out.

GRRRR!:mad: $400 is a sizeable amount!

Oh man, WTFFFFF! I just went to the post office to send away the forms for my Canada student loans, and the lady's like, "did you see, they are sending the entire amount to your educational institution, so you don't need to send any forms to them?" I was like, WHAT!? It's all great, but I'm getting like $400 more in student loans than I owe in tuition to the school!

So I e-mailed my ***** advisor (the same one who gave me crap for registering in a full courseload because I apparently "can't handle it" :rolleyes:). You know what her response is via e-mail? "CALL ME @...." So what now, should I call and be like, "E-mail me @..."? Seriously, if you can type "call me," you can type 2 lines telling me how to get my $ back out of your stupid school. And then of course I call her and she's not there! CLASSIC, considering I'm planning to leave for the US this Sunday or Monday and will be gone for at least a week, so I need to deal with this BS before I head out.

GRRRR!:mad: $400 is a sizeable amount!

Heck yeah.. that's two textbooks!

Went to get my labcoat for Micro at the scrub store and of course left with MUCH more than a labcoat... they just got the Grey's Anatomy line in *Sigh*. I was just going to get some of the cute t's for under my scrubs, but I tried on a pair of their scrubs too... and they were THE most comfortable pair I own. Anyway, a new wardrobe and $103 dollars later I finally left.

In other news, got my LORs from the docs I shadowed dropped off today. Three out of six. Phew!

It has been storming for 5.5 straight hours and will continue through the night.

And the flooding continues.....

Man, yeah, it looks rough up there. By all means, stay in as much as possible and dont be like the fool on the national news that drove right into a flooded highway and almost drowned because "he'd been traveling that road for years, it had always been there"... Wow. Yeah, our bridge had always been there too, but I wouldn't try to cross biloxi bay that way right now.... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.