Random question: does it matter what I list as my primary language?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thadarknyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned urdu first, and spoke that at home until i started school, which is where i learned and started to speak english. AT HOME, i still speak urdu, but anywhere else, i speak english.

what should i put as my primary?

Members don't see this ad.

thadarknyte said:
I learned urdu first, and spoke that at home until i started school, which is where i learned and started to speak english. AT HOME, i still speak urdu, but anywhere else, i speak english.

If you're fluent in English then put English as primary, and then Urdu as fluent.

Don't make Urdu primary, so adcoms don't think of you as an "international". Put English first.

Members don't see this ad :)
thadarknyte said:

I don't think it makes any difference which is your primary language.

dr.z said:
I don't think it makes any difference which is your primary language.

It will sometimes help adcoms get past a low verbal score if English is not your native tongue. Just don't be surprised if they pair you up with an Urdu speaking interviewer if you get to that stage, to call your bluff.

I would put English as your primary, and then say you're fluent in Urdu. The way I see it, you use English at school, with your friends, at work, with your friends, so English is primary.

Pick the language you dream in. When I started to dream in English, I knew that it has supplanted Chinese as my primary language.

^ What if no one talks in your dreams? :eek:

Whether it's stated or not, they will want to know that you can effectively communicate with patients. I would put English as your primary language to eliminate any chance of bias. Then, feel free to discuss Urdu anywhere else in the applicaiton process, make it a strenght as a supplement.

Depakote said:
Whether it's stated or not, they will want to know that you can effectively communicate with patients. I would put English

Actually, depending on what state we are talking about, there's a pretty good chance many of your patients won't speak english. (But no urdu either).

Well, I put English....

I came to US 6 years ago...

We speak Spanish and Russian at home:)