* Random Question Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a question but dont want to start a new thread? Post it here. Lets try to clean up the board a little.

Anybody hear back from UCLA or UCSF?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't heard from UCLA, but I have an interview with UCSF on Nov. 7

does anyone know when Indiana school starts?

i have to take anatomy for IU and i am planning on taking it in spring (feb-june 2004). will i be ok for IU since my anatomy course will be over in June?

Members don't see this ad :)
perfect:

you have until june 30th.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there is any sort of ranking for Dental Schools - there are some for medical school and other graduate schools, but I couldn't find any for dental. Is there any way to know if one dental school is better or has a "bigger" name than another, or are they all pretty much the same?

No, there is no ranking for dental schools. Although, some schools are harder to get into than others.

Here is a list of all the schools and their entering class stats. This may help answer some of your concearns.

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Hell yeah! Check out each school and see which one is the best for you! That is the # 1 most awesome dental school in the whole world! They are all different. Research, clinical emphasis, innovative paradigm shifts, dental schools are some of the differences! No ranking is accepted by the Dental Community. It may actually be frowned upon by the schools. See for yoour self and visit the schools you want to apply to!

Your absolutely correct.

Visiting the school is the best way to decide.

thanks dds and bill.

i am glad that i would have just made it. my class will be over on june 10.

perfect, I thought you didnt have any more classes..Did you say you were only taking this semester off?
:confused:

man this forum needs some serious cleaning up.

i wish people use this thread for their less commonly asked questions instead of creating a whole new thread. wishes wishe.

shawnone,

i graduated in 2002, however, i never took anatomy. in order to go to IU, you need to have anatomy requirement met. so even if i get accepted at IU, i would still need to take anatomy b4 they let me in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking Anatomy right now along with physics, ochem 2, and sculpting. Let me tell ya, anatomy is tough. My class meets MW and we have a quiz EVERY meeting, a test every other week.

I just learned all the muscles from the waist up. The neck is pretty confusing. I guess you can say its a real pain in the neck. :D

shawn,

where are youtaking the anatomy course? i will take it at LAPC.

btw, how is the lab?

Originally posted by aphistis
Ahman, this poster is correct.

dds4...are you an IUSD student?

nope, that's what it said in my interview invite letter.

I am taking it @ LAVC (valley college). I have had my g-chems and physics at Pierce, but I like the bio department better at valley. They have alot more classes and veteran teachers. Although i hear the Pierce anatomy is very good, they have an actual cadaver (sp?).

Here is a real random question...How much have you guys spent on stamps. I am almost done with my second packet of $7.60 and need to buy another! jeesh!

Although i hear the Pierce anatomy is very good, they have an actual cadaver (sp?).

thats the main reason why i never took anatomy in my undergrad.
i guess i have to face it soon or later. yummy!

god i would really hate seeing one.

Hii..

I was just curious to how many years people have spent in university, before applying to dental schools. Do you guys think it's okay to spend an extra year in university.. or does it matter how many years of undergrad. you did?

desi,

I spent 4 years to finish my bio degree, and 1 year in business classes. I got in, but I really dont know if dental schools care if you spend more than 4 years in undergrad.

I spent 4 years as an undergrad earning a business degree. worked for 2 years in IT, then went back to school for 2 years now to complete my pre-reqs (at CC).

perfect, to answer your question about why i created this thread...I thought if I could have some people post random questions here, then it would help to clean up a little. I dont expect everyone to post here, and I certainly wont get uptight if they dont. But, if just a few people post a random question here, rather than opening a new thread, it will help reduce the swamp of random threads with 1-2 responses.

To those people going or who went to UOP, Columbia, Tufts:

Do you feel that your experience at your school hurt or helped your chances of getting into a specialty school compared to other dental schools. Did it have to do with the course work? Your rank? Your school reputation? Your extra-curricular experience?

Thanks for the imput.

i know. i was just being sarcastic.:)

btw, do you know if it is possible to take the anatomy course somewhere here during winter?

Originally posted by PERFECT3434
count down,

wooo hoo just 6 weeks left b4 dec 1st.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Perfect, can you remind us what this post was created for?

Sorry, had to do it.;)

And yes, only six more weeks:eek:

i think you know why.
at least i didn't open a new thread just to say wooo hoo:laugh:

Did anybody see the news about NYU? Apparently, a 19 year-old student jumped from the 6th floor and commited suicide last night! They said its the 4th or 5th time this has happened. what the hell?

Probably not unique to NYU...

I remember when I was an undergrad at Columbia, an engineering student who was not doing well in class also took a jump off a dorm building. That incident led to the replacement of the School of Engineering dean of students. Oy.

There's a lot of pressure these days on our college students, that's fer sure.. It's a heavy psychological burden when one has tens of thousands of dollars invested in tuition and all one has to show for it are C's, D's and F's. That can definitely drive someone to self-destructive behavior.

Anyone know of a site that shows

how many applied to each school vs.
how many got in vs
how many matriculated to each school.

I know many schools don't like these numbers to get out.

Here's a random question:

What is (or was, for those who are in dentistry) your backup plan if dentistry doesnt work out?

Mine was accounting, but thank god I dont have to furthur pursue that. But I must say that it may help me run my practice, so I guess thats a plus.

Originally posted by Dentaldream

What is (or was, for those who are in dentistry) your backup plan if dentistry doesnt work out?

In fact, this question was asked by my interviewer at Case.

I told them, I would buy a fishing boat and head to gulf of mexico. Fishing and smuggling drugs are my primary choices to make a living. :clap: :laugh: :p The director of admission laughed real hard and said it was the best damn answer so far on that day. :D :D

Mine was accounting, but thank god I dont have to furthur pursue that. But I must say that it may help me run my practice, so I guess thats a plus.

My little college in Indiana has nice tight connections with Lilly headquarters in Indianapolis--I had a spot in pharm sales lined up if I wasn't accepted at IUSD.

I wouldn't mind teaching at a community college. I like to teach.

Band director

Originally posted by critterbug
I wouldn't mind teaching at a community college. I like to teach.

Did you take your DAT ?

i would buy a gun and one bullet. i don't need to explain what i'll use it for.

i would buy a gun and one bullet. i don't need to explain what i'll use it for.

Perfect, you arent serious? Guy... getting into dental school is not easy. Some people have to apply 3 or 4 times before they get accepted. If you dont get in, its not the end of the world.

i am kidding. i probably won't need a gun since i'd just have a heart attack anyways.

well, lets hope it never gets that depressing (no acceptance).

i am kidding. i probably won't need a gun since i'd just have a heart attack anyways.

well, lets hope it never gets that depressing (no acceptance).

Thank god! But seriously, you WILL be accepted to IU.

And to others who arent as lucky as perfect, not getting into dental school on your first try is not the end of the world. The sun will still shine and the birds will still sing. Dont give up. :)

Ya, but I'm not gay! :laugh:

oooops!

i am so sorry. for some reason i thought you were a female. sorry about that!

ok, your totally cool!

I think your thinking of Dentaldreams, I believe she's a girl.

can anyone tell me what schools do not interview besides creighton?

thanks

As far as I know, marquette doesnt interview.

As far as I know, marquette doesnt interview.

Mostly true, they only interview their in state applicants.

Thanks for clarifying that Dr. Benj.

wimmcs your PM box is full, my reply to your message could not be sent.