Random question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knights24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would it look in an interview if someone had a facial piercing? I don't have one myself, but used to have my eybrow pierced and wondered if that would affect interview impression, admission, or respect in the grad school setting once admitted.

Of course, I'm sure it would depend on program/professor...

Members don't see this ad.

How would it look in an interview if someone had a facial piercing? I don't have one myself, but used to have my eybrow pierced and wondered if that would affect interview impression, admission, or respect in the grad school setting once admitted.

If this is for a clinical program, I'd definitely recommend removing the piercing before the interview. Most hospital and clinic settings will require that you remove facial piercings (other than an earring or two), and that you cover any tattoos when working. Thus, coming in with a facial piercing could send a message of unprofessionalism, or that you aren't taking the interview seriously. It's just one of those high risk/little reward situations.

I agree that facial piercings should be removed for interviews. I have worked at several jobs where ALL piercings must be removed and ALL tattoes covered. Just to err on the side of caution, I would take them out.

Indeed, I think it can be professor dependent. I have a few profs in my clinical program who wouldn't even notice. However, there are also a handful that have explicitly stated that non-earring piercings are not appropriate for professionals. Clearly, in my opinion, this is one of those situations were it is better to play to the highest noted standard and ditch the piercing for the interview.