Random Questions From A Freshman Premed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rochagurl89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey!

I am currently a second semester freshman and am strongly premed. I have done a lot of medically oriented extracurriculars throughout high school but know that high school activities don't really matter much.

I know it is a little early to start thinking seriously about every little aspect of medicine but I really want a head start and want to make the minimal mistakes possible.

So, I have a couple questions...

1. I am looking at two opportunities right now. One being that I could work (paid) with the working title of a research assistant and classification title of program assistant for about 5-6 hours a week. This is in the department of pediatric adolescent medicine. They have already finished up the telephone interviews with adolescents.The thing with this is that it is mostly just office work and data entry. Initially, i thought I would help conducting the interviews but now that they have completed that, I would not really have any "patient" contact. Another is volunteering at a pediatics department at a local hospital generally on Sundays for about four hours. I was wondering which of the two options would be best. I don't really have the time to do both or I would. Actually on that note, would you advise a freshman to volunteer during the semester or just during summers?

2. Would a double major in psychology and biology be recommended? I really enjoy psychology the most, but I don't know if it will be taken as seriously for applications since it is considered easier than most majors. I don't mind biology either but of the two, I like psych better. I probably will end up double majoring because I like both semesters but will this end up being overwhelming eventually?

3. I am not sure if I'll have time to study abroad. But, if I go to india over the summer for vacation and volunteer at an orphanage or there is this school for the blind that my dad was telling me about, would that still be considered a good ec? ideally, I would volunteer at hospitals there, which I have done in the past but it wasn't very interesting just because of the limitations I had. Many times the doctor I was following just sent me to a room to watch medical videos. when I went on rounds with him, there wasn't much I could do, just shadow. Shadowing wouldn't really be looked positively upon would it? I would need to actually do specific tasks?

If you got through reading all of this, thank you very much! any advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

first, high school activities matter if they continue into your current age .. for example .. I put down ski patrol, which I still do, and I began as a junior in high school

as for your questions:

1. there are TWO aspects that every well-rounded pre-medical applicant has, and I believe you may have blurred them. One aspect is research, e.g. the data entry job you're considering (take it), and the other is clinical experience, which is the "patient" contact you describe. You should find another EC that satisfies the clinical aspect of your application.

2. Medical schools are very clear on this subject and have a general consensus as such:

- They will, in general, not care what major you choose so long as you demonstrate academic excellence in it
- They may, sometimes, look better on a double major than a single major, although such a case is rare as this distinction rarely is the deciding factor (i.e. MCAT, GPA receive much more weight)

3. A lot of pre-med students do go abroad (I did not because my major wasn't conducive for such an excursion unfortunately). Those who do tend to take a year off after college to get a job in the health sciences and show their continued interest in medicine. This option is perfectly normal, and I would recommend it.

also, a lot of people have pointed out quite correctly that pre-med requisites should not feel "forced." When I joined NSP in high school for example, I had no idea I'd ever want to be a doctor, and was pleasantly surprised that I could even add it to my application ..

Majik has a lot of good advice on your questions and I would just add a few points for each. The first is very general: make the most of your undergrad years. Prepare yourself for medical school and demonstrate that you are really figuring out that medicine is right for you, but don't do just that. Be sure to do things you want to do and take classes you want to take!!

1. Already sounds like you'd be disappointed with just data entry. Go for the pediatric ward volunteering and try to find a different research opportunity at your school.

2. Nothing wrong with psychology as a major. I just recently interviewed a psych major and thought the person was one of the best candidates I've interviewed all year. Do psych if that is where your interests are. You still have to do the premed courses (and do well in them). Add on a biochemistry and/or upper level biology to enhance your academic resume? Take some fun courses in the humanities, too. Educate yourself in many different things if you can!

3. Going abroad can be a very formative experience. Often, however, it is something that only people with more money can do, so it is not necessarily an easy plus on your application. What matters is what you get from the experience!

Again, don't see the premed years as just a checklist for your medical school application. There is a better approach. See the premed years as a chance to see, do, and learn many wonderful things. Grab clinical experiences for the opportunity to see medicine because you are interested in it. Find a research opportunity that will teach you how to think and which hits on a topic you're really interested in. Take classes that will broaden your horizons. Do lots of non-premed things that will help you grow.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me kinda sad... too much of that "would med schools approve" attitude that makes us such a sad bunch.

One aspect is research, e.g. the data entry job you're considering (take it)

I agree. This project sounds like something that would be viewed as more "unique" than just volunteering at a hospital. Plus, pay is a plus at any point in the (very expensive) course of premed/med. I would definately discourage doing both at the same time.

Don't over do it. You don't have to be doing "pre-med activities" every day. Just be conscientious about your grades and do well. Your major doesn't matter, do what you find interesting. Look into shadowing and volunteering opportunities and get involved in your pre-med club, if only for the contacts and opportunities for activities. Try to get some clinical experience in the hospital setting.

Browse SDN and keep up to date on admissions timelines, requirements, etc...so you'll be completely ready to apply when you want to (doesn't have to be right out of college, you can apply whenever YOU want to). Most importantly, don't let being "pre-med" take over your real life. Have fun and work hard.

I'm so glad I decided to go into medicine towards the end of my undergrad. None of this meticulous planning of ECs to fit some mold. I did stuff I rnjoyed, and that definitely shone through to adcoms. I was commended several times by interviewers for (in their views) pursuing things I clearly enjoyed, and not just doing stuff (like research . . . of which I had ZERO) that I thought they wanted to see.

Most people that get into med school triple majored; the most common triple major is the three big sciences: biology, chemistry, physics.

just kidding

Most people that get into med school triple majored; the most common triple major is the three big sciences: biology, chemistry, physics.

just kidding

Actually, everyone knows that the most common premed curriculum is the quad Biology Chemistry Physics and Math major. The BCPM. Perhaps you've heard of it?

just kidding

I double majored. It just depends on whether you think you will have the time. I doubled because I finished my first major in my third year and still wasn't a good enough applicant to apply. Still, I think bio/psych is the most common premed double, and it comes highly recommended.

There's an alternative to BCPM though, it's called "AO" (all other), which means majoring in everything except the sciences/math. But AO usually ends up being like a tetradectuple major, which is relatively challenging.

There's an alternative to BCPM though, it's called "AO" (all other), which means majoring in everything except the sciences/math. But AO usually ends up being like a tetradectuple major, which is relatively challenging.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::oops::(:mad::sleep:

You mentioned Ski instructor, would med schools care that I'm a volunteer projectionist at the local independent theater?

You mentioned Ski instructor, would med schools care that I'm a volunteer projectionist at the local independent theater?

I think any job someone had for more than a couple years AdComs would think of "working" through college and would consider a plus. If your question was serious and not a poke at the OP, I think your volunteer work certainly would be applicable as an EC, if you are interested in film and indicate such in your AMCAS description.

hey! thanks for all the input guys!

so basically....
1. paid job over volunteer (what exactly is data entry..do you just get all the questionaires together and type them into excel?)
2.double major okay
3. try to study abroad (does volunteering in India count for something?)

thanks again!

I didn't say ski instructor; I said ski patrol, i.e. a ski medic. We are a direct link in the EMS chain, and so the relevancy to medical care makes this position worth putting on your application. In contrast, working at a local independent theater will carry less medical weight, but it is still better than omission.

In contrast, working at a local independent theater will carry less medical weight, but it is still better than omission.

True story: one of my interviewers (an older man), after taking a look over my AMCAS, commented "It sure is nice to see you've worked some [non medically-related] jobs . . . you don't know how many of these whiny premeds I have to interview that never paid their dues." He then went on to tell me how he had worked a factory job when he was young similar to the one I did three summers in a row. Sure, he was biased, but the point is that non medically-related job experience is most certainly something you should include. ESPECIALLY if you think it'll help you stand out among a sea of neurotic, robotic premeds.

hey guys, thanks for all your thoughts:)!

I was wondering what you thought about the option of working in India during a summer - I rly want to visit again summer of 2009 but since that is an important summer (btwn soph/jr yrs) i need to make sure I am doing something productive while there...

and then would you guys recommend the paid research assistant position over the volunteering? (it is almost the same time commitment) and what exactly is data entry? - just entering data into excel and thta's it?

thanks!

hey guys, thanks for all your thoughts:)!

I was wondering what you thought about the option of working in India during a summer - I rly want to visit again summer of 2009 but since that is an important summer (btwn soph/jr yrs) i need to make sure I am doing something productive while there...

and then would you guys recommend the paid research assistant position over the volunteering? (it is almost the same time commitment) and what exactly is data entry? - just entering data into excel and thta's it?

thanks!

I'm sure you could do some interesting volunteer work in India, and it would definitely be something great to talk about during interviews. I started doing research that summer, but if you want to have more of a service oriented application then a summer in India might work out well (it would be too hot there for me).

Data entry is basically that, entering stuff into Excel (if you're lucky). It can be kind of boring, and sometimes maddening, but you do get a sense of accomplishment when it is finished. Research can often feel like you are walking in a desert, hoping to happen upon an oasis or maybe a group of Bedouins, so any time you can finish something by the end of the day it is kind of nice.

Whether you should take the job over the volunteering is tough. Do you need the money? We are only talking about what, $40 a week? If you don't need the money, do the volunteering, it is probably more relevant for medicine. If you think that you want to move up in the lab where the job is and this is your way to get your foot in the door, choose that. Don't do it for the money unless you really need it.

hey,

BigRedder: Thanks for your post...what do you mean by "if you're lucky" though?

I don't really need the money so that's not really a factor in my decision. It's just that I've been told to start research soon by many people and b/c I'll probably need "prior experience" for many other research opportunities in the future.

It's also probably easier to find a volunteer job in the future/summer than a research assistant position that doesn't really need much time (5-6 hrs/week)...but i'm still a little hesitant.

Even though it is a relatively short amount of time for work, will it still be difficult to manage an 18 credit semester?

hey,

BigRedder: Thanks for your post...what do you mean by "if you're lucky" though?

I don't really need the money so that's not really a factor in my decision. It's just that I've been told to start research soon by many people and b/c I'll probably need "prior experience" for many other research opportunities in the future.

It's also probably easier to find a volunteer job in the future/summer than a research assistant position that doesn't really need much time (5-6 hrs/week)...but i'm still a little hesitant.

Even though it is a relatively short amount of time for work, will it still be difficult to manage an 18 credit semester?

Unlucky would mean entering it into some web-based system, which can be very slow.

The question is how do you want to portray yourself to admissions committees? Do you want to be a research centric candidate or a service centered candidate? If you think that you might want to do research down the road, then definitely go into the research. Opportunities like that are harder to come by than volunteering at a hospital, and you are correct that as a prior experience it will be beneficial for future endeavors. You can always volunteer later, they don't generally require experience for that.

Concerning whether it will be too much time, only you can know that. I worked 10-12 hours a week starting 2nd semester sophomore year, and while it was an adjustment, it actually helped me focus. I think you can sacrifice the time, considering how important it is to get involved in something.