Random residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girfaroo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I should already know the answer to this but do residency programs go back and look at your med school application/interview when they're deciding to give you an interview or not?

I ask because I had a terrible (for many reasons) interview at my (former) state school, but I obviously would want to apply there for residency, to be close to family/old friends. Are they going to go back in my old file and see that they didn't like me as a candidate before?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I should already know the answer to this but do residency programs go back and look at your med school application/interview when they're deciding to give you an interview or not?

I ask because I had a terrible (for many reasons) interview at my (former) state school, but I obviously would want to apply there for residency, to be close to family/old friends. Are they going to go back in my old file and see that they didn't like me as a candidate before?

No. You submit an entirely new application through ERAS. The most residency apps MAY care about your undergrad is where you did it (if it was an Ivy for example).