random thought... how does one become the dean or director of admissions at a dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Brush My Teeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
after practicing for a certain amount of years, what makes you qualified for this position and how would one get into it?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what all the professors/admin are at my school, become a periodontists. They all seem to be them.

Reactions: 2 users
be really really really good at speaking, specifically like a politician

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep getting more and more letters behind your name and pieces of paper to frame and hang on the walls of your office :prof:;)

You have a good mix of a clinical and academic background. Typically, you'd have an additional degree with the DMD or DDS. A PhD, MPH, MS, etc. are typically seen.

Excellent public speaker and leadership skills. It is a very political-type position.

If you are really interested, call a dean and ask them. None of the above answers are entirely true. There are no deans posting here. How would any non dean really know?

If you are really interested, call a dean and ask them. None of the above answers are entirely true. There are no deans posting here. How would any non dean really know?

You're not wrong. But it's just having a general idea, you know? I'm not a waiter or actor or chef, but I have a rough idea of what it takes. Same if a child asked me how he could be a star football athlete when he grows up.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no general idea, as deans from various schools attain that position by different routes. It appears to me that you are neither a dentist nor a dental student. Why not ask your undergraduate dean how they got their job? I work with many deans of dental schools. They are all a little different and all got to their position in different ways. No clear cut answer here.

There is no general idea, as deans from various schools attain that position by different routes. It appears to me that you are neither a dentist nor a dental student. Why not ask your undergraduate dean how they got their job? I work with many deans of dental schools. They are all a little different and all got to their position in different ways. No clear cut answer here.

IMG_8109.JPG

You got me. I'm nothing. You're the best. I'm sorry. I didn't know that your opinion and experiences trumps everyone else's. I hope you can forgive me, but I will understand if you don't.