rachmoninov3

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
It's the end of third year, and well the title says it best. Yes, it may be strange as I've spent the last 10 years wanting to be a doctor to finally realize it is actually close to being a reality. To tell you the truth, I'm a little scared. I mean, of all times for me to finally develope some humility, why does it have to be now?
Maybe I'm scared because of the power that physicians have, or because I've usually taken the stance that most physicians resemble the end of the alimentary canal. Either way Physicians have always been a class I've never thought I'd belong to. Now it's just so weird to think that I will become one very very soon...I just feel so unprepared!

Anyone else have these thoughts?

MCYan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You will feel even worse after you match and the celebrations are over.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Just wait till the end of your fourth year. You'll hit that "OH CRAP!" wall and wonder why in the world you should ever be allowed out of med school because you feel so absolutely totally unprepared for someone to say "Doctor...." and it's you they're talking to.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2004
Status
Don't worry young grasshopper. Your residency years will be filled with feelings of frustration as nursing staff treat you like a 5 year old, and your attending is too slow, too weary to act on things that are completely sensible to you, leading to excessive workup/consultations, that you have to follow up on, and hence, enhance your work load. If you think even once that you'll be entrusted with a ton of responsibility and people's lives will be put directly in your hands, it's quite the opposite.