Rank All

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotcb

---------
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to pass on a bit of advice from one of my faculty advisors today. Although most of us will match very well and will likely get one of our top choices, you never can be sure of the X factor, and it is probably better to end up at your last choice than out of work for a year.

So instead of ranking 12 programs, i went ahead and added in everywhere I interviewed, for a total of 15. I'm sure we'll all be happy come March 12th, but I wanted to pass on - better safe than sorry when it comes to the possibility of not matching...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm ranking all of them mostly because there wasn't anyplace that I would have been absolutely miserable at. I think scrambling may be harder this year than it has in the past, so I'm playing it very safe. Plus, the places that have open spots to scramble into are usually places that are undesirable to most, hence the open spots.

Ditto for me. 14 total on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree as well--at first I was going to leave off two programs that I wasn't too enthralled with, but then I thought about having to scramble, potentially not match, and then having to do this ENTIRE process all over again next year . . . good luck to everyone.

Me too, actually there wasn't one program that I couldn't see myself. There were cities that I was too excited about though. Is it march 12, 2007 12:00 pm eastern standard time yet?

Have you ever heard of anyone ranking and matching somewhere they didn't interview? I plan on ranking all the programs in SAEM. j/k

Does anyone know for sure if there were more applicants this year?

Does anyone know for sure if there were more applicants this year?

There has to be. Many of the PD's I talked to said that they recieved at least 100 more apps this year than they usually do. I don't know about you guys, but I was waitlisted at 3 places, and there was no mvmt on those lists.

Just curious cause it seems like lots of people were interviewing at a large number of programs too....but I am not sure how many places people in previous years have interviewed at :) and I am just being hopeful that it is a little less competative than I imagine :)

Along the entire interview trail, the topic always came up regarding how many people in each person's medical school wanted to go into EM, and it was always higher than their own previous class. At my school, there were 6 that matched in EM last year, and at least 12-15 that are applying into it this year.

Along the entire interview trail, the topic always came up regarding how many people in each person's medical school wanted to go into EM, and it was always higher than their own previous class. At my school, there were 6 that matched in EM last year, and at least 12-15 that are applying into it this year.

You couldn't throw a stick and NOT hit an EM-hopefull in our lecture hall (don't think I haven't tried). And that doesn't even account for the majority of the EM-hopefulls who detest lectures and wouldn't be there to hit.