Rank and the white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we wear our rank on the white coat? If so, wear? I thought I once heard someone say that doing this is a, "nurse thing"

Members don't see this ad.

The regulation says that you're supposed to wear the collar outside of your coat so the collar rank devices are visible. At least for the Navy anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our department chief has us wear it on our scrubs. In the ED this sometimes helps with the drunk/angry/obnoxious enlisted guys when they realize who they're dealing with. We use the pin-on for the most part and I don't think it looks bad. Besides, our rank on our ID badge is printed so small you can barely read it up close.

I have a plastic pocket name tag with Name, MD Family Medicine.

No rank. Me Doctor, that's enough.

The regulation says that you're supposed to wear the collar outside of your coat so the collar rank devices are visible. At least for the Navy anyway.

Can you provide a link to the regulation on this. I tried looking through the Uniform Regs and didn't find anything regarding the white coat at all. They do have indoor duty white though which is good fun. Did BUMED put something out?

Don't work too hard to find it, simply for my own education.