Rank list Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can clarify the following, I thank them in advance!

Say I am going to rank 3 places: Chicago, Philladephia, and Lansing.

Chicago is my number one place. Each place accepts 4 students per in coming class.

My Rank List is:
1. Chicago
2. Lansing
3. Philly

Chicago PD ranks:
1. Bob
2. Sara
3. Me
4. Paul

Lansing's PD
1. Hansel
2. Me
3. Gretal
4. Sam

Philly's PD
1. Me
2. Frank
3. Norris
4. Larry

I am third on Chicago PD list, but they are first on my list. So on match day, would Bob and Sara get in (pretend they rank Chicago first on their lists) and then would I also match chicago because they are first on my list and since they take 4 a year would still have 2 spots after Sarah and Bob to fill, or would I match at Philly despite ranking them last but being the top of their list?

My question boils down to: I want to match chicago and will rank them 1. During the match, does the computer wait until all availabe spaces are filled before moving down my list to my second choice, etc. Or does it look at my first choice, chicage, see that a position was filled then move down to my subsequent choices and match me at say Philly, despite the fact that at the time it matched me to Philly, not all 4 spots at chicago had filled.

Sorry for the cumbersome question.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone can clarify the following, I thank them in advance!

Say I am going to rank 3 places: Chicago, Philladephia, and Lansing.

Chicago is my number one place. Each place accepts 4 students per in coming class.

My Rank List is:
1. Chicago
2. Lansing
3. Philly

Chicago PD ranks:
1. Bob
2. Sara
3. Me
4. Paul

Lansing's PD
1. Hansel
2. Me
3. Gretal
4. Sam

Philly's PD
1. Me
2. Frank
3. Norris
4. Larry

I am third on Chicago PD list, but they are first on my list. So on match day, would Bob and Sara get in (pretend they rank Chicago first on their lists) and then would I also match chicago because they are first on my list and since they take 4 a year would still have 2 spots after Sarah and Bob to fill, or would I match at Philly despite ranking them last but being the top of their list?

You will match at Chicago.

My question boils down to: I want to match chicago and will rank them 1. During the match, does the computer wait until all availabe spaces are filled before moving down my list to my second choice, etc.

Yes.

Or does it look at my first choice, chicage, see that a position was filled then move down to my subsequent choices and match me at say Philly, despite the fact that at the time it matched me to Philly, not all 4 spots at chicago had filled.

No. You will match at your first choice if you are ranked high enough by them to get an available space. This is clearly explained at nrmp.org

I have a question:

If I am applying to both preliminary and advanced programs, is it possible to arrange my list so that I favor doing both at the same location?

I have a question:

If I am applying to both preliminary and advanced programs, is it possible to arrange my list so that I favor doing both at the same location?

Yep. I believe you can say you want to do (prelim-advanced) as follows: (1) Chicago-Chicago, (2) Chicago-Lansing, (3) Chicago-Philly, (4) Lansing-chicago... and so on. So you end up with your best choice combination you can match into. But you still have to match into both, so it's conceivable you will only get a Chicago-Philly combo and have to move twice.

Yep. I believe you can say you want to do (prelim-advanced) as follows: (1) Chicago-Chicago, (2) Chicago-Lansing, (3) Chicago-Philly, (4) Lansing-chicago... and so on. So you end up with your best choice combination you can match into. But you still have to match into both, so it's conceivable you will only get a Chicago-Philly combo and have to move twice.

Thank you very much! Have a fantastic day!