Rank list nuiance-- advanced vs categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbulletin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say there is a program I am ranking that has both advanced vs categorical spots. I have 10 prelim programs to rank, but I'd only want to do the advanced on this program ranking 5 of these 10. After these five, I'd rather do the advanced.

So I rank as above, and "get" the advanced spot, but none of those 5 prelims. Do I then get sent automatically to the categorical spot, or do I keep the advanced and scramble?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say there is a program I am ranking that has both advanced vs categorical spots. I have 10 prelim programs to rank, but I'd only want to do the advanced on this program ranking 5 of these 10. After these five, I'd rather do the advanced.

So I rank as above, and "get" the advanced spot, but none of those 5 prelims. Do I then get sent automatically to the categorical spot, or do I keep the advanced and scramble?

this

Members don't see this ad :)
Last minute question:
For the programs that have both categorical and advanced spots, how do the programs decide whether you'll match categorical or advanced? is it that they fill the categorical positions first and then fill the advanced spots? Do I need to do anything special? I ask because I've ranked something like this:
1. Place A categorical
2. Place B categorical
3. Place B advanced
4. Place A advanced
5. Place C categorical
6. Place D advanced

Please someone clarify this for me? 3 hours!:eek:

This is how I understand it... Usually schools will submit the same rank order list for both their advanced and categorical spots, unless if people only apply for one or the other because they've already done an intern year, or for whatever reason.

Let's assume the lists are essentially the same. The computer goes down YOUR match list and finds the first place that has an open spot, and puts you in it. You get bumped if someone else is ranked higher on their list. In essence it's basically as though the categorical and advanced were two separate programs.

This was a huge help to me: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

There's no problem at all in how you ordered your list. If you prefer categorical, then go for it. Now I'm rethinking the way I have my list ordered.... hmmm.. :)

Last minute question:
For the programs that have both categorical and advanced spots, how do the programs decide whether you'll match categorical or advanced? is it that they fill the categorical positions first and then fill the advanced spots? Do I need to do anything special? I ask because I've ranked something like this:
1. Place A categorical
2. Place B categorical
3. Place B advanced
4. Place A advanced
5. Place C categorical
6. Place D advanced

Please someone clarify this for me? 3 hours!:eek:

Last edited:
Thank you linuxgirl! You've been a super big help.

QUOTE=linuxgrl;10634898]This is how I understand it... Usually schools will submit the same rank order list for both their advanced and categorical spots, unless if people only apply for one or the other because they've already done an intern year, or for whatever reason.

Let's assume the lists are essentially the same. The computer goes down YOUR match list and finds the first place that has an open spot, and puts you in it. You get bumped if someone else is ranked higher on their list. In essence it's basically as though the categorical and advanced were two separate programs.

This was a huge help to me: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

There's no problem at all in how you ordered your list. If you prefer categorical, then go for it. Now I'm rethinking the way I have my list ordered.... hmmm.. :)[/QUOTE]