Rank lists anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccmagic32

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, and i'd like to thank everyone for the helpful information everyone else had posted. Just curious what everyone's rank list was...here's mine...

1 UCLA Medical Center
2 Loma Linda
3 USC
4 St. Lukes-Roosevelt
5 Yale
6 Cleveland Clinic
7 Univ Hospitals of Cleveland
8 Boston U
9 Loyola
10 SUNY Stony Brook

Strange group i know, but being an average candidate, i went to all the programs i got interviews from...

Not ranking: Metrohealth/CWRU-OH, NYMC-Westchester

Good luck to you all on March 20th!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My rank list is 100% different than what it was a couple of weeks ago.. did some soul searching and came up with the following list:

1. Jackson Memorial
2. UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson
3. Albert Einstein
4. St. Lukes Roosevelt
5. St Vincents Downtown
6. Stony Brook
7. Syracuse
8. Boston Medical
9. Maimonides
10. Westchester

I wasn't sure about miami but seeing as how i am only ranking their advanced program (6 spots) I figured I would only get it if they really wanted me. Not ranked are Cook County and UTMB both of which are 4 year programs, I want to get my own internship.

ccmagic:

Holy cow, the top halves of our respective rank lists look very similar. That worries me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry too much about competition, we all knew anesthesiology is more competitive this year. But the bright side is that statistically, 50% of applicants get their first choice, 60-70% get one of their top 2, and 80% get one of their top 3 choices. These numbers are for every specialty, and since many highly qualified candidates end up getting their fourth choice or lower for fields like rads, derm, ortho, etc., we shouldn't be THAT worried.

Heres my list:

1. UIC chicago
2. Michigan Ann Arbor
3. Pitt
4. Columbia
5. Rochester
6. NYU
7. Rush
8. Cleveland CLinic
9. Miami

I encourage more of you to post your ranklist, as at this point it wont matter as we are all in the same pool.
goodluck!

H&P Stat

Competition shouldn't be an issue, I only got the UCLA interview due to a Sub-I I did there (Dr. Wald, the PD told me so).

Loma Linda is my home school, which gives courtesy interviews, and my class has about 15 going into anesthesiology, and I think they all want to stay which is bad since we are kinda in-bred...

Which leads me to the fact that it's all a crap shoot, and some computer is deciding our fate at this moment.

Good luck though, and just in case we end up in the same program, can I ask in advance if you'll take all my weekend and holiday calls?

I was tempted to post my list, but then decided against it for fear of jinxing myself (yes, I DO believe in that kind of stuff). I'll let you know after the Match.

ccmagic - FYI, I shoudn't have gotten an interview at UCLA either. My application was on hold for months and then I just happened to e-mail the Department right after someone else had cancelled. Yippie! As far as call schedules go, I'll take your calls... if the price is right!

Gas - Where did you get those statistics? If those numbers are correct, there's a good chance March 20 will be a really good day!

Good luck everyone!

Those numbers I posted are statistics I have seen from the past few years at my own medical school. I consider my school to be "average," and I talked to my dean as to whether those numbers can be generalized to the whole nation. He said those numbers are right on par with the nationwide stats, but only for US MD schools. I have browsed web sites of other med schools' match lists, and the numbers are fairly consistent. I don't know if that includes DO's or IMG's, but I would say it does not.

I don't have information on standard deviation, standard error, etc., nor do I have information on the numbers just for anesthesiology, but I am very curious.

1. Mayo Clinic
2. JHU
3. U. Chicago
4. UCSF
5. MGH
6. WashU
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan
9. Wisconsin

hi ccmagics32,

i think i met you in ucla when i did my sub-i there in november. if i remember correctly, you are from kentucky. my med school is in the southeast. i hope i have ided you correctly. hope everything is going well for you. i actually met another person from your school who is going into anesthesia at ucd.

Man, H&P Stat, did you play baseball or do you gamble often, my senior year in high school I got dressed in the same order before every game and I thought that was superstitious. J/K..... anyway. I'm already jinxed so whatever..............
Here is the list after much, much, much debate.

1. UCLA
2. MGH
3. BWH
4. Stanford
5. BI
6. JHU
7. UCD
8. UTSW
9. UCSD

The draw of the west was too strong to outweigh the draw of the big H. Who knows what's best. UCLA is a great place and I really liked their program and their program director Dr. Wald.
Maybe I won't match at all and will have to scramble...... into Derm..........not....... Good luck to all. Happy to talk with anyone about any of these places.

Still Ca Dreamin

Here's my list:

1. UCDavis (please!!!!!)
2. UTSW
3. Northwestern
4. UChicago
5. WashU
6. Baylor
7. Loyola
8. UCLA-H
9. BostonU
10. SLU

I'm keeping my friends and family in the dark until match day, but gotta tell someone. My top five changed a few times in the last week, mostly because I'd be happy at any one of them. I put a lot of weight on location and am partial to Chicago (friends and family), so...

1. U of Chicago
2. Rush
3. Loyola
4. USC
5. Emory
6. MCW
7. Ill Masonic
8. Colombia
9. NYU
10. Boston U
11. Miami

Thanks for all your discussions everyone and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Must....resist...the urge...to post...my ROL!!!

Dammit... I'm not going to give you my entire list, but I will say that UCLA is my first choice as well. But then again, it's such a long shot, it technically shouldn't even count as one of my official ranks. On top of that, it seems like everyone and their mother is ranking UCLA as their first choice. You bastards!!!

Ca. Dreamin:

Didn't play baseball or gamble in high school, just never let go of all that Magical Thinking from childhood. By the way, maybe I should change my Login name to "Ca. Pipedreamin".

my rank list...

1 UC Davis
2 Stanford
3 UCLA
4 Northwestern
5 UC Davis--w/ prelim surg
6 Northwestern w/prelim med
7 Cornell
8 Columbia
9 St. Vincent's
10 Beth Israel Deaconess (4 yr)
11 Beth Israel Deaconess
12 USC
13 Cornell w/ prelim med
14 U of Chicago

--SF bay area native

Why did everyone who saw Miami rank it so low? Just curious. thanks

Miami was a crappy program, they pimp the applicants which turned many of us off!
the city is nice, but the program and the facilities are 3rd class.
they intereviewd 450 people or so for 20 spots which is ridiculous. alot of this i presume is cause they know many folks wont even rank em!

personally, this and cleve clinic were the worst programs i visited

Originally posted by apma77
Miami was a crappy program, they pimp the applicants which turned many of us off!
the city is nice, but the program and the facilities are 3rd class.
they intereviewd 450 people or so for 20 spots which is ridiculous. alot of this i presume is cause they know many folks wont even rank em!

personally, this and cleve clinic were the worst programs i visited

:fingerscrossed: hope everyone else feels this way.. 3 years in miami would really do my soul some good! Spoke to PD there.. they are ranking only 100 applicants for 26 spots.

For those of you that ranked (or interviewed) at the Univ. of Michigan or Univ. of Chicago, could you please share any comments you have on the programs?

TIA!:)

:confused: why are people so afraid to post their ROL's??? i am the only one on the PM&R forum to do so. what a crock!!!

thanks to anesth & ER folks for having the courtesy and common sense to do what everyone should do.

peace

edit:
is anyone posting TY ROL's?
i ranked LDS in salt lake city #1

This thread is to post your rank list and NOT to ask program related questions..go to the other threads for that@!!

I love how people love to view others rank list and not have the balls to post their own,,what a crock!!

Originally posted by apma77
This thread is to post your rank list and NOT to ask program related questions..go to the other threads for that@!!

I love how people love to view others rank list and not have the balls to post their own,,what a crock!!

I'm a pre-clinical med student that won't be participating in the match for quite a while (so I don't have a rank list)! When I saw that some people had ranked two midwest programs (UMich and UChicago) that I have an interest in, I thought I'd ask for comments. Pipe down and don't make assumptions!!! :rolleyes:

1. Duke
2. JHU
3. BWH
4. MGH
5. UNC
6. UPenn
7. Pitt
After that it gets complicated because of the couples match, but includes Columbia, Cornell, U. VA, Thomas Jefferson and BID.

Spouse of EMdoc

Here's OMD's ROL

1 - Dartmouth (totally awesome program in a totally awesome location!)
2 - Univ of Rochester (another totally awesome program in a great location!)
3 - Univ of FL (awesome program; only negatives: no longer running their own PGY-1 & too damned humid in FL!)
4 - UMass (great program, great location)
5 - VA Commonwealth (not well-known, but a gem of a program)
6 - UConn (the biggest surprise of all - sweet program in a cool city; a true hidden gem of a program)
7 - Penn St (superb program in a nice location -- smells like chocolate!)
8 - Cleveland Clinic (strong program, just too damned big & it is in Cleveland)
9 - Maine Med (great program if your intent is to purely turn cases in the real world; not so strong for those intending to do fellowships or academic med)
10 - Univ of Arkansas (has had significant problems in recent years, but appears to have gotten it together, finally; look for this one to gain prominence in the next few years)
11 - UPitt (superb program, esp if you're thinking critical care; but Pittsburgh is a $hithole of a town, in my humble opinion)

First of all, I did way too many interviews, that being said it is nice to see what all of the programs have to offer,

1)Northwestern- 4yrs
2)BWH
3) Wash U
4) NW 3yr
5)Cornell- 4yr
6)Cornell- 3yr
7) Duke
8) emory
9)vanderbilt
10) UAB
11) Beth Israel Deaconess
12) Mt. Sinai
13) Penn

Chose not to rank some Programs that I didn't get a good feel from ie. Columbia- Did anyone else seem to notice how tired and broken the residents seemed? Aside from that everyone was great at Columbia. Congratulations to everyone for choosing Anesthesiology, some of the nicest people I know are Anesthesiologist. Look forward to having a beer with good people at future conferences.

1. Cornell
2. BWH
3. Mt. Sinai
4. Beth Israel Deaconess
5. Penn
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Albany
8. UConn

I ranked only advanced positions, none categorical (except Albany, where you must do their internship).

I'm really hoping for Cornell!

1. WVU
2. Hershey/Penn State
3. RWJ/UMDNJ
4. Albany
5. UMDNJ/Newark
6. Rochester
7. Pitt

Where are students posting prelim med and transitional year ROL?

I am originally from the West Coast, and I really struggled with this decision. Therefore, I decided to leave it up to fate to where I will end up!

1)Brigham (loved it there, felt very comfortable)
2) UCLA
3) MGH
4) UCD
5)Cornell 4yr
6) Columbia
7) UPenn
8) USC
9) Loma Linda
10) Cornell 3yr
11) Northwestern 3 yr
12) University of Washington
13) UPenn 4 year
14) St. Vincent's Manhattan

The only program I decided not to rank was Penn State for the simple reason that I didn't really like the location. The program director and education there is phenomenal. If I was married and had kids, I probably would have ranked it very very highly. But alas, as a single gal, I didn't think I would settle down in Hershey.

Here's my contribution:

1. Cornell (3 year)
2. Cornell (4 year)
3. U Chicago
4. U washington (3 year)
5. U michigan
6. Mt. Sinai
7. NYU
8. Cleveland Clinic

Hope that those are enough programs. It's all out of our hands at this point though, eh?

Good luck to all

Utah
Michigan
UTMB (Galveston)
University Hospitals of Cleveland-C
Kentucky
New Mexico
UT Southwestern-C
UT Southwestern-A
UT Houston-C
University Hospitals of Cleveland-A
Kentucky-A
UT Houston-A
Arizona
Texas Tech

Glad its not in my hands anymore!! Best of luck to everyone!
:clap:

1.Emory
2.UPenn
3.Yale
4.UMaryland
5.George Washington
6.Cornell-4
7.Cornell-3
8.ST. Vincents
9.Georgetown
10.Columbia
11.Virginia Commonwealth
12.Stoney Brook
13.Thomas Jefferson
14.UMDNJ/NJMS
15.Drexel

1. Wake Forest
2. UNC
3. Florida
4. Kentucky
5. USF- Tampa
6. MCG
7. WVU
8. Penn St.
9. George Washington
10. Univ Maryland

:p

anybody else put UC Davis as their top choice? Wanted to see what the interest level is. Hope to meet those people out there next year!!!

OldmanDave,
Are serious about Hartford being a cool city?
I grew up right outside of Hartford and know for a fact that it is not a cool city.
I live in Chicago now and IT is a cool city. If hartford actually had one-eighth of what Chi-town has......it might be considered an average city.
In your defense, I do think the UConn program is excellent. It is just in a bad location.

Originally posted by jashanley
OldmanDave,
Are serious about Hartford being a cool city?
I grew up right outside of Hartford and know for a fact that it is not a cool city.
I live in Chicago now and IT is a cool city. If hartford actually had one-eighth of what Chi-town has......it might be considered an average city.
In your defense, I do think the UConn program is excellent. It is just in a bad location.

LOL!! Must be a matter of perspective...I'm currently living in Sag-nasty Michigan. Believe me, Hartford is a great place by comparison!!! Plus, I'm no longer so hip on living in any megapolis type places anymore. They're loads of fun when you're young & single, but suck to live in when you're an old married fart w/ kids to raise! Mant years living in Dallas taught me that.

Old Man Dave,

Since you've been lucky enough to travel high and low...how does Gainesville compare to some of those other sub-megalopolis areas? :)

-Gator

hope its all good news today for both the pgy1 and pgy 2 positions for everyone in this forum. now i am wondering where i will end up for the next 4 years...as u all can tell, i am not a very patient person. since i matched...here is my list for both the pgy1 and pgy 2 position

pgy1
1. carolinas medical center (i love the city, nice program that doesn't kill u)
2. moses cone
3. mount sinai cabrini
4. arrowhead or metrowest
5. alameda-highland
6. st. mary in long beach
7. kern medical center
8. st. elizabeth
9. univ. of maryland-mercy medical center
10. ucsf-fresno

anesthsia
1. brigham
2. hopkins 3 yr
3. hopkins 4 yr
4. wake forest 3 yr
5. ucla
6. nw 3 yr
7. mgh (i know, someone must think i am crazy. environment was a major factor in my rank list)
8. wake forst 4 yr
9. mayo clinic 3 yr
10. uci
11. cornell
12. colubmia
13. unc-chapel hill
14. st. lukes roosevelt
15. univ of maryland

i didnt rank ucd and harbor-ucla. I did way too many interviews, I was so burned out after toward the end, and maybe this was why i didnt like mgh that much afterwall. i will be very happy with my first two choices. hope to see some of u during the next 4 years. again, good luck everyone.

Too many variables to explain in a dinky post, but here is my list:

1. New Mexico
2. Virginia Mason
3. UCSD
4. UNC
5. MUSC

Thanks to everyone for all your input through this forum. I just registered and up until now I've mostly been a voyeur, but all your input has helped. So THANK YOU. My rank list:

1. UC Davis
2. Yale
3. USC
4. UConn
5. Baystate
6. MC of Wisconsin
7. Mercy Pittsburgh
8. Univ of Cincinnatti
9. Baylor

Good luck to everyone on Match Day!!!:cool:

O.k. here is my short rank list. I'm even amazed that I matched considering I only interviewed at three places (not by choice).

1. Univ of Rochester (fingers and toes crossed)
2. Univ of Ill at Chicago (girlfriend there)
3. UC at Davis (there are worse places i.e. Iraq)

DOMD

Hwy Cajunmoon, where did you match? I sent you a PM.

Hey DOMD,

Congrats on Rochester!

What is wrong with the anes program at UC/Davis? I thought it was pretty DO friendly.

UC Davis was DO friendly. THey don't have to be anymore. It's too competitive now. But then again, I don't know if they have any DOs this year.

Well, I guess my main question is, how is the UC Davis program? I don't know much about it, but based on DOMD's comment about UC Davis, I figured that there were flaws in the residency program.